range - yet again

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bockhaus, Nov 1, 2008.

1. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    I promise I won't ask how to play high. I won't ask which mouthpiece will let me play higher. I won't even ask if I need to make an embouchure change to play higher. What I am interested in is how high is high enough? I assume it may vary for different genres. Just how high are today's professionals asked to play on a regular basis?

2. Mason

Mason Pianissimo User

Oct 7, 2008
    Australia
    yer thats a good question. Because when i play high like a high D or if i try to do an E i struggle and i have to blast it out really hard. Is that how its supposed to be or what?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Bockhaus,
    professionals are not asked, pros get chosen for the parts that need to be played. Symphony players are expected to prepare regardless what comes.

A rule of thumb say that G above high C will cover 99% of anything anywhere. A lead player in a big band will have an occasional "required" double C.

The demand that gets the players hired is not range. The ability to play in tune and in time are MUCH harder to find than idiots that can squeal all night.

I find more players do not get called because of rhythm more than any other factor. The second most common mistake is the inability to blend and anticipate musical relationships.

Range is so far down on the list, it is really a non-factor!

4. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I think around solid top G/A (on the 4th leger line above the stave) would enable professionals to do most things, whether it's Brandenburg, Turangalila, or some big band.

5. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    What I've found in a 40 year career is musicanship, and personality and professional behavior count most (ON TIME, nice to people, and able to read and nail the part). as far as range it's not how high you play it's how long you can play high. At the end of the day a classical player needs a High D, A lead plyer a high F or G.

Bob G

6. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    VERY well said!

Tony

7. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What Tony said about what Bob said.

I play lead in Detroit's busiest swing/big band.

Fs are common, a few charts have Gs.

I can play Gs and Fs at the end of the 4th set.

There are other bands that play charts written by Kubis, or the Buddy Rich charts, those charts do have double Cs and higher, but those bands don't seem to get many gigs.

There are also bands like the Big Phat band and the Count Basie band. The lead players in those bands need high chops.

Mike Williams, the lead player with Basie constantly plays double C and above, every gig, and they play 39 weeks a year. He is one of those rare players that play very musically in that range.

Again, Bob's advice is right on.

-cw-

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  8. bockhaus

bockhaus Pianissimo User

May 11, 2008
    WI
    Thanks guys. This is what I suspected. I didn't remember ever needing more than a high D/Eb in college. Jazz needed more, but I didn't play lead, so still wasn't needed. Thanks again.

9. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    I think this is mostly the problem. If you try and force out high notes, you're fighting a losing battle...

10. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hey there, bockhaus!

About your question
    High C has a frequency of 1000 HZ (slightly more, actually).
    DHC has the frequency 2000 Hz
    Tripple high C has the frequency 4000 Hz
    Quadruple high C has the freqency 8000 Hz
    Quintuple high C has the frequency 16000 Hz, which is about the upper level of what a normal person can hear.

Anything above that is MORE than enough! :play::D