Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonny89, Sep 4, 2006.

1. jonny89

jonny89 New Friend

Feb 22, 2005
    Redhill - England
    I'm trying to increase my range at the moment and am finding it hard to find exercises that are actually giving me results, anyone got any tips and also general tips for range and endurance??

2. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
    Without knowing what you've already tried it's a little difficult (you may have already tried everything I could suggest).

How about this? What has worked well for me is using Clarke Technical study #1, but going beyond what Clarke wrote. It's pretty useful, as it increases by semitones (if you don't have Clarke, I'm sure Mike will be able to furnish you with a copy until you buy the book).

If you have already tried this to no avail, I'll suggest something else.

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Range comes trough practice without forcing but by strengening your chops through playing music in a higher register. Always try to make the best sound you can, whatever you play. If the chops are tired, take a pause so that the muscles can recover and get stronger.

Maynard wrote a nice article about this. I fully agree with him.

http://www.maynardferguson.com/article_wanna.html

4. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

If your tone production is not right in the lower register, then you can practice exercises all day and all night and still not improve. When you have a clean pure tone in the low register produced by a relaxed air stream then you can carry that into the upper registers.

5. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    A book that I like for increasing range (without using extensive pedaltones like Stamp, Gordon, Maggio, Callet, etc.) is:

"Progressive Studies for the High Register" - Keith Johnson

As with many things, reading the directions is important. On page iii, he advises, "It is vital that periods of rest be interspersed between lines and that the player never play to the point of complete muscular fatigue. The process should be one of building rather than tearing down, and great emphasis should be placed on using a full, free-flowing breath. All the studies should be practiced with the most beautiful, singing sound possible. The objective is to learn to play musically in the upper register rather (than) merely hitting high notes."

The studies are great to start the day, then play some music!

6. ptynan

ptynan Pianissimo User

Sep 13, 2005
    Antigonish, NS
    Two words: Carmine Caruso.

There is a ton of info on him and his pedagogy technique. Just google him.

Good luck, it will take time.

7. jonny89

jonny89 New Friend

Feb 22, 2005
    Redhill - England
    Thanks everyone all your ideas are really helpful, as for practicing range how much of my practice should be dedicated to it?