Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barato, Feb 5, 2007.

1. rjzeller

rjzeller Forte User

Mar 7, 2005
    Rochester, MN
    I've completely stopped worrying about range alltogether. Instead, I've been focusing on intonation and sound. That seems far more important to me at this stage...

Used to be I could reach some D's and maybe a few F's for an hour or so then I'd gas out. But this weekend I was playing double-G's well into a three hour gig. Why the drastic improvement? I don't know and I don't care.

I think if you obsess about the range, you'll always have your focus on the wrong things. Worry about music, intonation, SOUND, and the range will take care of itself.

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Are we sure we're all talking about the same double D?

I am thinking the original posting that started the thread is talking about D above high C. As in a full step above the last note in Bugler's Holiday.

When I hear someone say double High anything I am thinking notes above double high C. Eight notes above the last note in Bugler's Holiday. (High G is between high C and double high C).

Are we on the same notes?

Jim

3. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I worried about range wayyy too much in high school. I obsessed over it, struggled, changed my embouchure several times, and had countless physical problems with all areas of my playing because of it. I finally got some modest high chops in my senior year of high school. I went into college splitting lead with a senior in the jazz band. At that point I realized something. While I could play higher and louder than him, he's still a better lead player than me. He's got the tone, style, quality, and sensitivity to lead the band. I don't. The fact that I can push out high notes loud and clear doesn't mean much unless I can make music with them. Now, I'm all about scales, arpeggios, flow studies, whatever's gonna get me that control and ease of note transition that my older colleague has. The notes are in my face, but not quite in my MUSICAL range.

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    For the last six months I have really cracked down on the fundamentals of trumpet playing. So much, to the point that it is driving my wife insane. When I saw this post, it hit me. I had not worked directly on my range at all and yet it had increased. Barato, listen to these guys. They know what they are talking about.

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Worth reading again!

Good post John.

-cw-

6. Shermock

Shermock New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Maple Grove, MN
    Range is evolutionary, not revolutionary...

Wow! Again, -20 wind chills this morning. Brrrrrrrrr

Shermock

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    There is a difference between public range and private range. Public is as high as you are willing to play in public and sound decent, private is what you can squeeze out maybe on a good day. Example, I can play the f above hi c in public, but i can sqeek out the ab above that on a good day, but would never play that in public. Wilmer said it though the most important thing is the music and the sound quality that you are producing.

Shermock is right about range being evolutionary. You have to work your butt off to develop it right and with a good sound. We were in Grad school together and I heard him work his butt off on range and he sounds really good up there.

Franklin

8. barato

barato New Friend

Jan 17, 2007
    Somewhere in Ohio
    I am not worried about it! I just created a thread just to be curious! I do not really care about range at the moment either, it is the last of my worries too. I like my tone and such, but they need improving so I am working on them. With the breathing exercises I am doing I am creating an even better sound and a better range. So two birds are killed with one stone, even though the original intention was to kill one (achieve better tone). Now I am really thinking about sight reading. Sight reading allows you to play the music with a ease. I am now in jazz band, I am unfamiliar with some aspects, but I am now improving in that too. For a matter of a fact I need to get practicing.
    Happy playing & typing :thumbsup: ,
    Howard :whistle:

9. Shermock

Shermock New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Maple Grove, MN
    Awww, shucks. That was very nice to say, Franklin. I was hoping noone paid attention to all that blathering!:-)

Stay warm!

Shermock

10. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree, there is much more. But range is part of it. It is part of the "discovery".

A lot of the blame can be put on the band directors that play music that their students aren't ready for. A lot of these kids feel that there must be something wrong with themselves since they can play the music put in front of them. Jazz ensemble and marching bands music are both guilty of this.

Garry