Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barato, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Shermock

Shermock New Friend

Dec 12, 2006
    Maple Grove, MN
    Amen!

Shermock

2. DubbaCTrumpetMSU

DubbaCTrumpetMSU Mezzo Piano User

Dec 29, 2006
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Chuck, what do you mean by 'capping' him? like..having to play a 3rd or 5th higher for some obscene cocky reason?

3. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Capping means the 2nd or 3rd player playing above the lead guy on the last chord of the tune.

Just showing off your high note skills.

As if guys like Sy Oliver didn't know what sounded the best on their tunes.

Play what is written.

-cw-

4. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Why is it such a taboo to talk about range??

Let's forget what's written or not. This wasn't my point at all in my previous post. I think most of us see that point (allthough not always living by it) and I'm sorry if that was all you got from my post. I wanted to point a finger at the attitude some are met with (often new users) when they unwittingly start a range thread of some sort.

"Son, concentrate on your Arban", "Do a search and don't bother us", "Range will come if you ignore it" are some types of cliché answers.

This is just condescending and really not helpful at all. Answers like "The best way is to get an instructor" or "It takes time" I'm more of a fan of. Use those instead if you don't have any concrete advice to offer.

I normally keep away from these range threads. You know, putting my fingers in my ears and run the other way. Allthough this particular thread wasn't created for educational purposes, I just wanted to say what was on my mind.

Now I'll run away again with my fingers in my ears. :shock:

Geir

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit

This is the definitive reply on this subject.

A player who is above reproach, who has done with his trumpet more than most of us dare to dream about, telling us what advice the world's best players gave him while he was honing his craft.

In the words of Calvin Coolidge; "No one ever listened himself out of a job."
    -cw-

Last edited: Feb 10, 2007
  6. Nordic Trumpet

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    Chuck, was your last post a response to my post?

If so, then you failed to see my point.

7. daveythewavey19

daveythewavey19 New Friend

Jan 31, 2007
    i had braces for a while, it was a pain. The damn things cut into the inside of your lips when you play trumpet. I wouldn't worry about range with braces, its basically impossible to get very high cause you always have a bad seal between the mouth peice and your mouth. Work on sight reading and don't worry as much about range.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Geir,
    I see your point, but do not think we are treating range as taboo. If we define range as the lowest to highest note that we can each squeeze out of our instrument, we have one discussion. If we define it as the lowest to highest notes that we can reliably and musically create, the discussion takes another turn. The practice room and convention monsters may have impressive frequencies coming out of the bell, but this is not "useful" rather annoying. If I take that same note and place it in a good musical context, it becomes interesting.
    Any discussion of extremes should be balanced with the intelligent usage. That is why I am interested in what our TMers can offer - other than a headache.

9. Nordic Trumpet

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    This I do agree with. :-)