Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FlugelNoob, Jan 29, 2009.

1. FlugelNoob

FlugelNoob Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Alright, I know this is a very common question, and there have been many threads about this, before you trash me, please read on.

Alright, basically I can play the range of a Bb trumpet, all 31 semitones, from the F# below low C, to the top C, and sometimes when I have done a full warm up, even the C# and D above top C.

My question is, how do I extend my range BOTH lower and higher.
    I want to learn how to go to pedal tones. I have tried on my own but to no avail(like how you play lower brass). And also, how to go above the top C. I aim to at least be aply to play 6 semitones beyond the conventional range above and below.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If your serious about extending both your lower and upper range you must find a teacher who can help you, without hearing or seeing you play it is impossible to tell you what to do with your embouchure over the net.

3. FlugelNoob

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Then Im hopeless. I barely have money for a used trumpet now, I can forget all else!

I was just wondering, if there are any excercises that help to build the embouchure stregth required to go up and down?

And also, generally, what are the major changes when playing out of the range? For example, embouchure has to be stronger, throat has to be bigger?

Other than getting a private teacher, or taking a video of myself playing and posting, I would appreciate any other ideas,tips etc as to what I can do to help me be able to play beyond the range, whether they help in short-, medium- or long-term.

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    The lower range from low F# and below are pedal tones. These, while not "that" hard to play with some practice won't produce an even and full tone, full sound. However, practicing pedal tones have been for some, including myself a way to improve chops to be able to sustain the effort needed when playing in the upper range. Anyway, you don't NEED a teacher to start practicing pedal tones and upper range, just look around for information on the net and get started. I understand how people on the forum advocate hiring a profesionnal to teach you, but sometimes, it's not easily feasable and if you are willing to put the effort, should not be mandatory to get started.

For pedal tones, look around on Eric Bolvin's web site, where he explains how to produce them. ::: Eric Bolvin Music Studios - Music and Trumpet Stuff:::

For upper range, you might want to watch Nick Drozdoff videos on the topic. Nick Drozdoff :: Home (click on online lessons)

These are two great performers providing great online teaching resources. There are plenty others too. Be curious! :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  5. FlugelNoob

Jan 5, 2009
    Toa Payoh, Singapore
    Thank you very much! I will get started ASAP!

6. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Flugel,

You need to be working on breathing and lip flexability everyday. I use the breathing gym and Collins lip flexabilitie, but there are many books on the subjects available. Search for both on google or at your local music store. Also, you can search here for an article written by Rowuk on "the circle of breath" Excellent information.

An instructor is advisable... but I understand that it may not be possible. Try to keep in mind that the range and endurance are earned through time... so regardless of the amount of practice or what you practice, it will not be an over nite and probably not a with-in-a-few-months event. Give yourself everybit of a year and then some before you get discouraged! Good luck and keep us informed of your journey!

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Doing some Clarke studies every day and extending them as far as you can is extremely beneficial.

8. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    There are thousands of such excercises yes but It is not so much what excercises you play its more HOW you play them that will get you where you want.
    A humble advice: if you do start to use strenght building excercises do not play TO MUCH of them since that could be more destructive than constructiv.
    I mean for example: do not get carryed away and use 90% of your practicetime on them OR practicing them for 40 minutes without resting...NO GOOD...I know it is easy to be eager so thats why Im writing this. Use them wisely and remember to listen to your sound and chops if they are telling you that you do to much.

There are really not so much "changes" in either end of the range. The embouchure has to be a little bit stronger for very high notes yes...the throat does not need to be bigger, nor does it have to be smaller . It handles it self just fine as long ase you are breathing in a relaxed manner.

Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I appreciate that you don't have the money for regular trumpet lessons, but scraping together 30 or 40 dollars to spend ONE lesson with a good teacher could reap huge rewards.

There could be 100 different approaches to expanding your range posted on this thread, but which one should YOU choose?