Range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by LH123, Jul 8, 2011.

1. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    I'm wondering how to work on my range over the summer... I'm not necessarily looking to be able to play higher notes, but to improve the notes (in tone quality) that I already can play. In other words, I'd like to be able to play with the same tone and power in my upper register as I can in the lower. I'm guessing that high long tones and lip slurs will help, any other suggestions?

2. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Long tones and lip slurs in all registers. Play soft, but focused and well supported, and minimize any pressure you might be applying as you move up through your range.

3. LH123

LH123 Piano User

May 14, 2010
    Does it matter in what register long tones / lip slurs are played? Of course, I'm doing them throughout my range, but if I play them high will they help my upper register more than low long tones and lip slurs?

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    +1 - also might want to rest that procedure every other day -- and if you do long tones on the "off" days -- just use "in the staff" notes. The lip muscles need to "relax", rest, and rebuild -- if your young a good "easy" day will help your progress. if you were older it might take an extra day or so.

5. tptshark

tptshark Pianissimo User

Jun 4, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I would recommend scales that start in the low register and take you up into the high register and back again. Decrescendo as you go higher, and crescendo as you go lower. Add vibrato to the top note to encourage an open embouchure and free, resonant tone.
    Enjoy!
    - AK