Rank your top 10 Trumpeters of ALL TIME

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by kozbob, Sep 9, 2007.

1. kozbob

kozbob New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    United States
    Rank your top 10 Trumpeters of ALL TIME (or at least the ones who had the biggest influence on you)

mine are

1. Wynton (because i met him)
    2. Maynard
    3. Louis (satchmo)
    4. Lee Morgan
    5. Clifford Brown
    6. Dizzy (Birks)
    7. Miles
    8. from here on up (for me at least) it is personal teachers who have really helped me advance my playing at a young age.

so get posting!

~ zg

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Because I only know of a small fraction of the greatest trumpet players ever, I really can't judge who is "best".
    The top influences for me were my grandfather (a fine player, nobody famous, but he was my first impression and when he died, I inherited my first instrument. He is still in my head every time that I pick up the horn!).
    Next would be Al Hirt because my parents had an album with Stella by Starlight on it - dazzling! Maurice André is next - he influenced just about EVERY trumpet player in the 60s and 70s. Then Raphael Mendéz, My trumpet teachers and other professionals that I played with. Wilmer is on my list too- here is a guy that has played just about everywhere and everything and still owns up to shedding! Hats off to the humble!

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    If we can be allowed to include cornetists, my list would include the following, but not nessecarily in the following order;

Rafael Mendez
    Maurice Andre
    Timofei Dokshitzer
    Bud Herseth
    James Burke
    Doc Severinsen
    Sergei Nakariakov
    Winton Marselis
    David Dawes
    H.L.Clarke

Trying to pare down the list has been tough. There are so many more that deserve to be on this list, but, these are the PERFORMERS I have either met or heard via recordings that helped to drive me onward with the trumpet and cornet.

OLDLOU>>

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Schwab, you are absolutely right about ranking! That is why I only listed the players that influenced me the most. That was the second, more appropriate option from Koz!

5. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    I like the players that can get out of their own way. Lots of names come to mind.

"Wilmer is on my list too- here is a guy that has played just about everywhere and everything and still owns up to shedding! Hats off to the humble!"

Serious inquiry: This doesn't appear to be typical of pros?

Apologies for posting here, but my question doesn't warrant a thread.

C

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Chris,
    most pros admit to being slaves to their schedules with very little time to really "practice". They do know however how to only work out the things that they need for the next show - and can save a lot of time that way. You really need to develop your major skills BEFORE you get into the grind. You then polish the immediate needs as required.

7. godchaser

godchaser Banned

Jun 17, 2007
    -That's good to hear.

8. Walter

Walter Piano User

Sep 11, 2006
    Kozbob

It is very difficult to "rank" players because there are so many variables. It has been a common practise to rate musicians/groups/songs for years. Many still remember the Beatles..........Elvis debates. I like it when people give credit to those who have influenced them or helped them to become better people/better players or maybe just gave them hours of listening pleasure.

I have said it before and will say it again.....for me....#1 Rafael Mendez......I heard him "live" on a few occasions and he was spectacular. The poor recordings we have left don't come close to what he was really like. After Mendez and for a variety of reasons I give credit to.....Herb Alpert, Brian Lynch, Clifford Brown, Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Chet Baker (in his day was ranked above Miles for many years), Wynton because he is just so nice to people who come to hear him............and many more.

Where did you meet Wynton?

Walter

9. kozbob

kozbob New Friend

Aug 27, 2007
    United States
    Walter,

I met Wynton at the Iron Horse Music Hall in Northampton, Mass.
    He frequently comes there, so check the schedules and the website, and come to his next perfomance! When he is done playing, head to the basement (thats where the green room is), and he will be there. That's where he was when i met him. My icon under my username is even a picture of Wynton and I.

Good luck,

~zg

10. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Yeah, I'll say 'biggest influences'...

Maynard Ferguson
    Doc Severinsen
    Miles Davis
    Clifford Brown
    Chet Baker
    Phil Smith