Rant of the Day: Upper Register Screechers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decoski, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Decoski

Decoski New Friend

Jan 29, 2011
    California
    When I was in high school, I was impressed by those musicians who could hit the really high notes and was jealous that I could not do so. As I've gotten older, and have listened to more trumpet musicians, I'm more impressed with those who can play every note with artistry and good intonation. The insanely high notes don't impress me anymore, and they don't even sound good, in my opinion. Rant over.

2. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I'm OK with that. And, welcome to TM.

BrotherBACH

3. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I was into Maynard BIG time when I was in high school. I was an even bigger fan of Arturo Sandoval and Jon Faddis too. But I, like you, have come to like the characteristics you described. Don't get me wrong, I still like Sandoval and Faddis, but I like them the most on flugelhorn and ballads.

Occasionally I like a good (and I mean good) screamin' trumpet solo....but not as much as I used to...

Kujo

4. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I certainly appreciate what you are saying. High notes that are bad are, well, just bad. I believe, however, that good range is extremely important in trumpet playing; after all, how are we going to play a beautiful high C (not uncommon in any style of music) if we don't have a few notes above that in reserve.

Keep the rants coming!

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Maynard lives! There is room for all in the trumpet world. Everything in moderation would be the best. I do have a special liking for tasteful screamers, not all that are, qualify. Just listen to the Jazz Trumpet channel for a wide variety of them and players of all styles. :thumbsup:

6. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I especially like a good screech over the top of a cow bell with some salsa.

7. laurie

laurie Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    Australia
    I feel the same way.A great deal of my time is spent playing high/loud lead parts in R&B/Soul and big bands. The more that I do of that style of music,the less satisfied I become.
    When I play for my own pleasure,it is invariably on Flugel,and always something melodic and lyrical.
    Whilst I admire the skill of those who can knock out the high notes,It just dosnt do it for me musically.
    Laurie

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Ditto - and I'm relatively sure it's not because I can't play that high, it is just basically unpleasant to my ear - now a gas turbine engine at 40,400 rpm and on song, well THAT'S different. ;-)

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Have you ever used your Flugel for screeching? I have been trying this more often toward the climax of a solo, with surprising results... both in tone and audience response. I have found an unsuspecting audience goes wild when I am screeching on the Flugel, more pleasing to the ear perhaps. I have also found the Flugel is more kind to controling the notes in the high screech range. I use the 3C Getzen mouth piece to achieve this relaxed and easy outcome which is amazing since I have to use a Jettone Studio B or Schilke 14A4a to get the same results on my Olds Recording.

10. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    I love listening to a good lead player. I can't think of any aspect of trumpet playing, when done well, that I don't appreciate. Screaming is great when it's done well, and used appropriately in small doses.