Rant of the Day: Upper Register Screechers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decoski, Feb 20, 2011.

1. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    If I have to use the upper register a lot, I put the Recording away and pull out the Super. It is just more agile and brighter. Much easier over a long night. Additionally, it is louder than the recording (mine, anyway).
    As far as listening to good lead players with high chops, Doc does it for me every time. I never tire of hearing him play.

2. JoeyK1

JoeyK1 New Friend

Feb 12, 2011
    I think it's necessary for the trumpet world to turn. After all, if every single one of us played the same way, it'd be that much more competitive for us, and that much more boring for the audience. If I'm playing in a big band, and the second guy does a nice warm flugel solo, it's nice. It's lovely. But if, on the next song, I go up and do a mellow flugel solo as well, then it's old news. And what of the third and fourth guys? If every time one of us has a solo, we just go up and play something soft and melodic on the flugel, the audience is going to get tired of us REAL quick.
    However, if the second guy does a nice flugel solo, then a little later I go up and play a solo that's way up in the atmosphere, then a little later the third guy goes up and does a hot solo like Brownie or Morgan, then a little later the fourth guy goes up with a plunger and just wails at it, then the audience gets a little taste of everything. Every aspect of trumpet playing is important, and none of them is going to sound good anymore if you hear it too much- you need some variety.
    It also makes things a little easier/more fun for us to perform. I can play up there, I can do some jungle playing on a plunger, and sometimes I'll play flugel and be able to play a nice, sweet ballad. But that hot, fast playing like Fats or Dizzy... I just can't play that precisely with that much speed. But then check the second player out: maybe he's not great with a plunger, but when it comes to some fired-up stuff like Fats does, he can really bring it. And the same can apply to everyone else in the section. Everyone brings their own flavor.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
  4. pintocb

pintocb New Friend

Jan 1, 2011
    Doc is amazing. If I could sound 1/10 that good I'd be satisfied.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I think there is a difference between a screamer and a screecher. Screamer = good, screecher = bad, sometimes really bad! I know some guys that talk the talk but can't, well, you know :-). I don't want a rep as screecher, so I play within my current abilities and save the screeching for my practice time when only my ears are assaulted. :thumbsup:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Very nice and appropriate distinction, and you have truly changed my future use of this performance vocabularity term as I truly agree with your distinction. :lol:Scream:play: :shhh:Screech:play:

7. JoeyK1

JoeyK1 New Friend

Feb 12, 2011
    Haha yes I just was using the characteristics of each chair as an example. Every section will be different, but I meant to show that a balanced section may have a high-note player in it, as well as a lyrical player, and/or a blues player, and/or a "cool" player, etc. Not necessarily on any specific chair. :-)

8. cbates9

cbates9 New Friend

Feb 16, 2011
    Commerce, TX
    I just hate it when that is all a player has going for them. Being a college student, I am around guys who still have that "testosterone" mentality when it comes to playing. They've got a range in the clouds, but can't even play simple licks to save their life. Then we end up with "lead" players who can't lead anything because they can't play the charts.

That being said, I love a good screamer. Wynton is the reason I started playing trumpet, but Maynard, Ingram, and Bergeron keep me amped to play.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Is the "cool" player the most interested in a variety of dynamics?

10. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Ditto!!!! A beautiful, treble range note is far more pleasing to the ear that any screamed note. Listen to Maynard's "Girl Talk" in his Ballads collection. No screaming, screeching, just beautiful music.