Rant of the Day: Upper Register Screechers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Decoski, Feb 20, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I've got some recorded Maynard on "Dinah Jams" and I can tell, since I got my new KORG tuner, that he's extremely well in tune when he's screaming up high. By the meter, he's on it, man. During a rendition of "Summertime" he's screaming, then finishes off one of his lines way down low ... not an easy thing to do! And nails that as well, by the meter.

Turtle

2. JoeyK1

JoeyK1 New Friend

Feb 12, 2011
    I'm sorry, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. I meant for "cool" to describe a player who solos in a way that could, well, be described as "cool", like Miles Davis. I simply meant that everyone may have a different style or strength when they solo, but that variety is what keeps the audience interested.

The point I was trying to make is that sure, high-note playing can get old after a while, but the same is true of any other type of playing. If there was a jazz concert and all the trumpet players ever did was growl with a plunger, most of the audience would get very tired of it, just like if all the trumpet players did was play high notes.

Am I not making sense?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I like just about everything good. Great high notes are as impressive as they were 40 years ago when I was 15. The difference is that I can play some of them now myself.

4. jmberinger

jmberinger Pianissimo User

Jun 5, 2007
    Long Beach, California
    Lately I have been listening to various modern classical composers that use the high trumpet range. One that immediately comes to mind is John Adams, who writes to concert "d" quite often, both lyrically in solos and as part of the pulse. Various other new classical composers are doing it too, and to great effect.

It appears to me that musical taste is changing with the traditional screaming of 20-30 years ago going out of favor.