Rassler

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mrj, Sep 14, 2014.

1. mrj

mrj New Friend

Sep 12, 2014
    Hi Everyone,

I took trumpet lessons very briefly in my teens. I was very enthusiastic about it and begged my parents to buy me one. We bought a trumpet from a lady who had many instruments in her attic. Friend of a friend.
    Sadly I abandoned my beloved trumpet and it has been downstairs ever since. I have been trying to locate any information I can about the brand of this trumpet, as it is in beautiful shape, and I would like to sell it so someone else may enjoy it. I have yet to find anything about it on the internet. Could someone please tell me about my trumpet and its approximate worth?
    I appreciate the time!
    I am trying to upload photos but it keeps saying error.

The trumpet says "rassler" on the horn, and I believe it was made in Czechoslovakia

2. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I have an old silver Czech horn that I found on ebay for like $30 a while back. I picked it up on a whim, had my repair guy do his thing with it, and now it sits in my closet, where it does duty as my Saturday morning Herb Alpert horn. (I start almost every Saturday morning by firing off Acapulco 1922 or The Lonely Bull to shake off the death grip that slumber has on my wife and kids - they love it).

I Czeched around (heh heh) when I first bought it, and apparently there were a lot of Czech horns imported back in..... I want to say in the 30's or so? Workmanship and quality seems to be above par, the sound is good, and I enjoy playing it, although slotting is a bit dicey at times - that could just be me.

I don't think they are particularly valuable, but I consider mine a very good value, since I've got less than $150 invested in it.

Mine has almost no definable markings on it, and I could barely read a serial number and 'Czechoslovakia' in the worn finish. It has some rather obtuse engraving on the bell.

Hope that helped.

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Unless it's built in a unique shape or has upscale features, it's probably worth $50 on eBay. You might do better selling it locally, though.

4. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Just found one on eBay. Listing expired the end of June--starting bid was 49.95, no takers. Why don't you clean it up, lube it up and start playing it again? It's never too late--just ask some of the come back players hanging around this forum.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I strongly concur with this assessment. Playing trumpet is exponentially more fun than not playing trumpet.

Also, it gives you an excuse to buy awesome things like mutes and mouthpieces, and then eventually more trumpets, and your life will be enriched and so much fuller, and then you'll be walking down the street one day and be like, "Wow, I bet half these people don't even play trumpet!" and you'll develop a superiority complex.

This is called 'fun'.