Rate of valve scratch

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by F.E.Olds, Jan 8, 2011.

1. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    Hello-
    I purchased a new Bach Strad 72 Lightweight a couple of weeks ago. I am not trying to be over paranoid, but the pistons seem to be extremely scratched for a new horn inside. It was certainly not like this when I got the horn but they have appeared. I have oiled the horn regularly, every day that I am playing, and when I bought this horn I got some Ultra Pure, so that is the only oil I have put on this horn. It is my fist experience with Ultra Pure so I'm not sure if it reacts with my saliva or something...There are surface scratches that go verticle, in the direction of the valve movement and then there are some that look deeper that go diagonal and cross each other. Is this normal and part of a break in period? I have been having a hard time getting good pictures of this with my stupid point and shoot digital camera (I'm a film/analog only shooter) but I'll try to put some up.

Thanks,

Patrick

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Patrick, strip your horn down and very very thoroughly clean it out NOW - it may have a little manufacturing swarf (metal cuttings) inside the tubing, and these could be lightly scratching the valve (my new Harrelson was stripped down before I played it and cleaned and lubricated - I found nothing but at least I knew from 'scratch' - pardon the pun).

Wear patterns will be vertical and depending on the way the valves were lapped, they may very well have an even criss cross pattern in the valve surface. If the valves are not binding, you probably don't have a problem - but disassemble, thoroughly clean, re lubricate and see how you go - if you are still concerned, get the trumpet to your best tech.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Yes, you should always clean a new horn before playing, always.

4. Asher S

Asher S Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Suburban Boston
    Also- do as Dave Monette suggests and oil your valves with Ultra Pure oil before and after every single playing session, taking each valve all the way out of the casing to oil it thoroughly. This simple tip works wonders.

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    And while the horn's relatively new (first couple of months or so), go overboard with cleaning. Don't just pull the pistons and re-oil. Pull the lower caps as well, and run a clean microfiber swab through the casings, and wipe down the pistons before re-oiling - do this every day. At least every week, give the entire horn a good bath in warm soapy water, paying particular attention to the valve casings and the connecting tubing. Even a Bach deserves the extra attention when new.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I did swab and wipe routine every time I oiled my valves on my Bravura when I was playing it regularly. The action is simply amazing.

7. F.E.Olds

F.E.Olds Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2010
    I'll give it a good cleaning. It is funny how my dealer says that it is all fine and not to worry about it at all.

8. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Your dealer probably plays the clarinet....