Rattling

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by skankin'dan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Hey everyone! How's it going?

Anyways, when I shake my trumpet, there's this rattling sound. (not like there is something in it, but like something is loose) And so, i'm wondering, what might it be? Should it be a concern to me?

Thanks for your time in answering this question.

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

That probably should be a concern, have you tried taking the horn apart and checking to see if there is anything wrong?

3. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
    Yea, try to like take it's parts off, and look around the horn, maybe there's something in it.

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    My trumpet makes a very soft thumping sound when I move it suddenly, and I could feel something shifting inside it, too.
    I finally realized that it was the valves moving up and down a little bit.
    If you suddenly move a trumpet upward, inertia causes the valves to temporarily move downward within the valve casing (trumpet moves upward, but valves remain in place due to inertia, so valves become relatively lower within the rising valve casing).
    Then a split second later the compressed springs cause the valves to jump back upward within the valve casing.

Also, check both ends of all braces on your trumpet to see if any solder joints or braces have come loose.

Also, remove all 3 valves (pistons) and inspect them for broken or missing parts.

Also, if you have a slide stop rod or stop screw, and the slide is very loose, the slide might be hitting the end of its range of motion against the stop rod or screw?

Also, if you have a missing or damaged felt at the top of one of the valves (pistons) you will hear metal hitting metal. But that should not make a sound when simply shaking the trumpet, because shaking should not cause the valve to go all the way down.

- Morris

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I had exactly this sound a couple of weeks ago. I took the valve buttons off, took the tuning slides out and checked inside, cross checked the valves, springs, and springretainers, checked the felts, examined the water keys, tightened the valve caps (top and bottom) - noise turned out to be the lyre retaining screw - which I had never used - had just loosened an 'gnats nut'.
    :dontknow:

6. Principaltrumpet

Principaltrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2006
    north texas
    Depending on how loud the rattle is it could be brass valve guides in the on the horn if you have them.
    JR

7. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Remove the valves, bottom caps, and all the slides. Does it still rattle? If yes it may be the screw for the lyre, a loose brace, or something stuck in the tubing.
    If the rattling stopped, return each part, one at a time and check for rattle. When the rattle returns it has something to do with the part - slide (water key loose?), cap or valve piston, that you have just put back on or in the horn.
    Spring assemblies and valve guides may make some noise when you shake the horn - this is probably not a problem, playing wise.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    That rattle is just the double C trying to escape! Shake the horn when playing, it may be the beginning of something BIG!

Seriously, there are only a couple of moving parts. Veery outlined what I would have done.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    it could also be a glob of solder that loosened up. Sometimes solder globs occur on the inside of the tubes where they are attached. Sometimes they get loose and rattle.

10. JonathanShaw

JonathanShaw Pianissimo User

Jun 29, 2006
    if you have a place for a lyer (sp?) stand like for marching band, sometimes the screw gets a little un done.