Raw Brass Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Mar 5, 2011.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Hey all, I got a question regarding raw brass. I had posted pictures of my newly refurbished trumpet. I had the bell in raw brass and everything else silver. My question is this: If I just don't polish the bell will it just eventually turn to the patina color? I've seen some monette trumpets (raw brass) and I really like the look of them. Mine was getting some spots on it and it made me nervous so I polished it, but if I just let it go and do nothing with it, will it just eventually turn the finish I want or do I need to do something with it?

2. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I'm not 100% sure but I think Dave puts a satin finish on all of his horns whether they are plated or not. If that's the look you want look around for someone to do it for you.

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    If you like the patina look then just leave it alone and nature will do the work.

4. Danbassin

Danbassin Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2006
    Buffalo, New York
    Monette's in raw brass are not finished. Patina takes time, and is completely dependent on the type and quality of the brass of your horn, your body chemistry (moisture from your breath coming through the horn, and sweat/oils from your hands on the horn), and environmental conditions (humidity, particulate qualities of the air in your area, etc.)

If you want a patina, don't polish the horn. The spottiness is a patina, and, given more time, it'll start taking on a more unified color.

Also, as far as the 'look' of Monettes go, please note that each weight of raw brass Monette horns takes on a different patina, especially at first, as each is made with varying density of metal.

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Thanks for the input. The spots looked a little like rust, so I polished it and guess what? It wasn't rust! :) Not sure what it was, but...

ok, so the take away here is that don't do anything with it and it will turn the color (monette patina) I want eventually. Don't worry about the spots, because thats part of the patina look.

Thanks

6. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Brass doesn't rust.
    The patina is oxidation that forms on the top layer of molecules on the raw brass. It is similar to the green verdigris that forms on copper that you see on roofs etc.
    The patina acts as protection on the brass, and stops oxidizing after the raw brass is covered. Buffing it takes that layer off the horn, thinning out the material slightly.

7. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    How long do you think it should take to get that patina look over the complete bell?

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I'm sure the environment has something to do with the rate the patina develops.
    Also, if you want it even, you will have to bead blast or scratch brush it. Water and oil causes stains on the raw brass that will leave it uneven.

9. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    I don't know what would work on brass, but a lot of people in the knife community will "force" a patina on steel using a variety of substances (vinegar, mustard, apples) either to get a nice even patina, for different effects, or just to protect it. Any chemists on board?

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Having been in the knife community, the aforementioned process is also used by counterfeiters to make a new knife look old, thus more valuable. It was used mainly on steel so I don't know if it (the process) will transfer to brass.