Raw Brass Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It may not be - likely is not - the same set of chemicals but there is a process. I know a guy who is in the plating business and he once told me that he can put a very uniform, aged-looking, patina on brass in 10 minutes. He did not tell me the exact process. I will try to ask him if it is common knowledge or something proprietary that he does.

2. MVF

MVF Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    SoCal
    The patina, whether on steel or brass, is just an oxidation layer. The only problem is finding out what oxidizes brass in a way (or to an extent) that gives you the look you want. In knives, the different methods and substances used can give very different looks on the same steel. I would assume (uh oh!) the same for brass.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas has recipies for a range of different colors for brass.

In my experience a raw brass is very hard to keep looking good, almost impossible to maintain an even finish if the instrument is played or handled regulary. I have had several instruments in raw which I eventually had gold plated because of the dirty and blotchly appearance after some use.

Regards, Stuart.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Our Vulgano Brother has talked about the badge of honor that an honestly worn trumpet represents. I know of no way to cheat the system. Having Monette trumpets, I can say that they age differently. I suspect that he is using a different brass alloy.

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Rowuk,

When handling the raw brass Monette trumpets do you see finger prints or "oil stains" from your hands ( don't know if that is the correct terminology)? My bell is still a bit shiny and you can see everything on it.

Any chance that mine will oxidize and look like those Monette's? :) I'm thinking that maybe I should just leave it alone and whatever it is it is - finger prints and all huh?

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TT,
    during the first year, everything is not very even. That "consistency" is built like our playing - many hours of playing. I'm not a metallurgist, but the Monette bell is anealed not tempered. That will probably change the way that it oxidizes. If you are lucky, after time it will probably look more like an old Martin Committee - nothing cooler than that!