Raw Brass Trumpets-harmful?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Joe44, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    My brother told me that trumpets without laquer are bad for your lungs or something. Is this true? If so why?

2. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    Oh yeah, wow, thats embarassing. :oops:

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Just try to keep from licking it all over.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I asked the same question awhile back because I was concerned about flipping horns that were raw brass. A few Md's responded ... basically you don't want raw brass on the mouthpiece or if you are allergic to raw brass.
    You could wind up with green hands if your sweat reacts to the horn... I haven't had that happen but I have heard it does.
    I always wax my horns.. I like the teflon car wax and the Meguires spray detailer. It seems to keep the brass off my skin and slows down the tarnishing.

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    My mouthpieces that are worn to raw brass tend to have a bad odor. Do raw brass horns have that same odor? I just got a horn that someone had spray painted the casing area gold. I am afraid I may have to remove the laquer with the paint. I don't want that smell on my hands from handling it. Will car wax seal it enough to prevent that smell?

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I wish I could answer that.. I don' have the problem of acidic hands. I would guess if you keep it waxed that would help substantially. That's why I like the teflon based waxes they seem to hang around longer.
    You might consider a valve wrap but it has to be the double one with a liner or else it will actually put more acid onthe valve casing.
    You can buy spot lacquer but it is only temporary and if you ever send your horn out to be cleaned you will tick off the tech because it just falls off.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Brass turns my hands green so I wear gloves if I contact raw brass. I don't get sick or anything like that, my hands just turn green and it's hard to get to wash off.