Raw Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpettrax, Nov 1, 2011.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Hey guys,

I had my trumpet overhauled everything silvered except the bell, which was left raw brass. I'm not sure of the correct word, but I think it's not "oxidizing" evenly over the bell. It there anything I can do to 1. help the process of "turning" and 2. how can I get it to be even across the whole bell? I really like the looks of the raw brass Monette trumpets and thought mine would turn out looking like that. Any help would be appreciated.

Trax

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    ummm,
    brass does NOT tarnish uniformly regardless if it is the brass of a 12K Monette or a $5 candle holder. I think your expectations are not realistic.

3. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I'm looking for the $12k finish on my $2k Strad! :) I actually am seeing the tarnishing dramatically where I have touched it. I really like the look and color of the raw brass Monette.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I reckon you're stuck as Rowuk has suggested, but you could try wiping it down with yoghurt (no, I'm not kidding). I know milk will alter the colour of raw brass - I've tried it and posted pictures in my albums. If it doesn't work well, you could always repolish and wait for the patina to begin again. Try the yoghurt in a small inconspicuous place first.

5. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    I don't really see the patina that I'm looking for. It is really more of an orangish/red color instead (where I have touched it). Help Rowuk!!! lol

Trax

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Some may be tempted to attribute to Rowuk powers of the Chuck Norris type but I doubt he can change the laws of chemistry...
    You'll get what you'll get for oxidation and that will be it.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I would have lacquered the bell as well but people get crazy ideas about how raw brass is somehow better.

You can buy chemical solutions that are used for antiquing brass. One of those would probably give you the finish you want in a more even way. Use the Googles to find them.

Tom

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Time and LOTS of use will get the look you want. Touch the raw brass a lot and leave it out of the case as much as possible.

Wynton's horns look like they do because they're in constant use and constantly exposed to the air and his hands.

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Wipe the brass area down with your hands, preferably when they are sweaty. :-)

10. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    rowuk is a god! :)