Raw copper trumpet bell

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Comet1995, Jan 27, 2015.

1. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Actually, it is just the specific bacteria and the aging process it undergoes for the specific purpose.
    The mould in your fridge isn't cheese, though it could have been.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    No. It is only considered cannibalism if the same species are involved....

3. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    Ahem. The English word is leach. If your horn had a leeching problem I'd suggest running like hell, or maybe a shotgun. :-)

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    What it means to run like a shotgun?

5. therealnod

therealnod Pianissimo User

Dec 30, 2014
    Find a person that has legs to carry you.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually I have always used leech because the zinc is sucked out of the brass. I stand corrected but can't help but think that there must be a common origin for the words.

In any case, my horns suck the life out of me. I am generally pretty spent at the end of a gig.

7. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    I had to look around the house for our copy of the OED, and its special magnifying glass, and it didn't take long to get bogged down in it. The words are different, but obviously related, and seem to come out of Old French; both spellings are used for both words! The clearest definition was that "leech" was (also) an obsolete spelling for "leach". Both words together consume about an entire dictionary page, so you can see why I wasn't too keen on digging much deeper! Other definitions include sliced meat, God, and healers. What's not to love about a dictionary whose raison d'être seems to be TMI!

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    What????

Two good Old English words here. Leech is from læce which even then, meant both the bloodsucking parasite and 'physician'.

Leach is an odd word in that it disappeared for many centuries before being resurrected by technologists in the 18th century. The origin is from OE leccan, to wet or irrigate.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    We use leach in landscaping terminology, mostly when referring to Nitrogen in the soil.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Leach fields for drainage pipe are often attached to septic tanks.