Raw finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Mar 20, 2012.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Is it easy to change a lacqured instrument (strad cornet) to a raw finish? would it be detremental to the instrument? is it for a tec to do? many thanks for your help.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    You could do it yourself. Just get some aircraft paint remover and spray it on the horn, let it sit a little bit, and wipe it all off. The lacquer will come right off. It is not detrimental, so your okay there. A tech could do it easily too.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    You could do it but the question would be... why? It's true that some people believe that a raw-brass instrument sounds better but the lacquer is there for a reason... it protects you from the brass and it protects the instrument from you. The difference in sound to the audience is about zero.

If your Strad cornet was lacquered with baked epoxy, it'll be difficult to strip. In any event, I would recommend leaving it alone, and if you just can't leave it alone, have a professional do it.

Tom

4. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    The lacquer is not in good condition. thanks for your help.

5. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Why not re-lacquer it?

6. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Cost issue

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    $$ could be issue, I know I have removed remaining ugly lacquer and enjoyed the polished brass look. PM I'll give you the details....

8. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Fortunately my body chemistry does not react with raw brass. I have an old mouthpiece that has basically no silverplate left and I play a raw brass horn. It looks like honey, not tarnished or ugly, and my skin shows no ill effects. I like the responsiveness. However, my raw brass horns (3) were less than 30% lacquer. I have 3 more horns that have a lacquer finish, and I will leave them that way until I have to make a change.

9. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Last I checked it really depends on how much you want to polish the instrument, since invariably raw brass owners put some sort of polishing compound on the horn, which might as well be lacquer... You might want to think about other finishes on the lacquer though. I think a previous owner gave the lacquer on my Olds horn a steel wooling, the matte finish gives it character in my opinion, and the spots that are worn through don't stand out as badly.

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Question for you chemist out there. I've seen how raw brass causes skin irritation to some people, but is it a possible health hazard to people? I ask this because I am having a Conn New York Symphony stripped to raw brass because the laquor was flaking off after some damage to the bell was done. So in repairing the horn I am replacing a red rotted leadpipe and tuning slide as well and having it in raw brass. Curious???

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012