Raw finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Mar 20, 2012.

1. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Hi Art,
    Many months ago you hooked me up with my 1923 22B.
    I have not polished it or done anything to the raw brass and copper finish other than an occasional wash in warm soapy water. I did free up the third slide, not frozen just tight,and the frozen valve spring tension adjusters. I had new corks and felts installed and some minor dings removed. I have added the period correct Conn case and accessories. The raw brass has not changed in color at all as far as I can tell. And I have had no problem at all with any reaction to the lack of lacquer. It is a great horn!
    I don't like the idea of stripping a horn of its laquer unless it is beyond hope and no longer protecting the brass, but I would not be too concerned about buying another horn that was raw brass.
    If anyone has a raw brass Committee or Recording they are having adverse reactions to I would be glad to releave you of your problem horn. I would even pay shipping. ;-)
    [​IMG]

2. Tequilero901

Tequilero901 Pianissimo User

Sep 4, 2010
    Memphis, TN
    I stripped my ambassador lacquer with just hot water. It took a long time though next time I'm using aircraft remover. I hand polished it and really and was disappointed becuase it lost its color really quickly. I then lighty polish it with a bench buffer still shiny to this day. I havent put it in its case just to see how long it will last. Its been 3 months and still looks great. This is an expermintal horn I have I would never do it to a more serious horn. I also expermented with silverplating and came out great (for a first time). I haven't had any ill effects from the raw brass although it still concerns me,

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    The answer for you is a Protec hand-guard, which is what Charlie Melk recommended to my niece who has a raw-brass horn because of cost.

Unlike some, I do not believe a handguard changes the sound at all, much less enough to care.

Tom

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I agree, my guard has no effect(that I can tell) on the sound.

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Tom,

Good to hear you got that old Connie up to par. It was an amazing playing horn and I wish I could have kept it back then. Glad it's in a good home though. As for the raw brass issue. The only reason I am having my New York Symphony Conn strippets was due to some damage on the bell caused the laquor to begin to flake off. Then, after a warm soapy bath a lot more began to come off so I'm thinking it was sprayed or layered with some type of epoxy coating sometime in the past and it was coming off all over the horn. So I thought I would fix it up and have it it raw brass. I can always relaquor it in the near future.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have used car wax on any horns I took down to raw brass. It helps deter any oxydation.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Coolerdave, do you think if I brasso the horn to its full lustre then wax it could be ok? That would give me something to do with my horn if the wife is in the house. I think she is jealous I give my beauties more attention. LOL I just tell her, "they take everything I give them and never complain". Hahahaha

8. lstewart

lstewart New Friend

Mar 8, 2012
    I'm having great difficulty removing old lacquer. Where might I find aircraft paint remover?

9. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    No No No.... Not needed. Go to Home Depot, get the citrus spray stripper... Use generously, leave on for 3-4 hours, hose off, repeat if needed. Then put in tub of HOT water, scrub off remaining goop and start polishing.

10. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I prefer the natural darkening of the brass to shiny. And I don't want to cause unecessary wear on the engraving and serial number etc. And excessive polishing will cause thinning of the brass and will effect the tone of they horn. Someday it may require another cleanup but I will try to make those few and far between.