Raw finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Mar 20, 2012.

1. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Home Depo, Lowes, and online. Look at A.N.A's post, Citrus spray stripper works. That may be easier to find.

2. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Spray lacquer stripper citrus at Lowes or aircraft stripper at Autozone if the citrus doesn't get it all off. Wash and peel of the hunks of lacquer then rinse well. Then I Brasso ( using narrow cloth strips around valve casing and QTips ). After all is shiney, I rub on ( Mother's Finest ) polymer chrome polish ( Autozone too ). You will not " rub out " any serial numbers or engraving.

patkins likes this.
  3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    This is the question I was asking earlier. Is it ok to brasso the horn and then apply the mothers polish?

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I prefer either MAAS or Simichrome metal polish for brass and nickel.

5. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    [​IMG]

6. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    In a thread long ago someone said Brasso might have a negative long term affect on brass horns and could result in future splits or cracks because of a chemical reaction. ??? Any substance to that?

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hi Tom,

Are you sure about that? I was in the Army for 11 years and they use Brasso on everything Brass. Door handles, flag pole truk, and belt buckles and what have you. Some items I've seen brasso used on are over 200 years old and they look nice n shiney after a good polish. Not to mention they are normally items exposed to the elements so they tend to tarnish fairly quick. With that doubt thrown into the equation I don't think I want to try and brasso a horn now. LOL

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Brasso is A LOT of work. It is really meant to remove patina on raw brass, not lacquer. I tried brasso on an old Conn with nitro cellulose lacquer with little to show for it except shiny lacquer!:-( I doubt it will do anything to modern epoxy lacquer. You could try "boiling" the horn with baking soda (1 Tb per gallon water used) and see what it does. It is less smelly and toxic than aircraft paint stripper.

9. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    Art I meant that post as a question. I am a Army vet also and used Brasso extensively. But that was on thicker brass items. I have had some very old raw brass horns that were very prone to cracking and splitting. I wonder if it was the alloy, the unprotected age or maybe something they were cleaned with. I have a new can of Brasso I purchased to polish my 36A with but after reading the post stating the strong chemical smell in Brasso could be a cause for alarm I decided to use Maas polish, with good results. I would still like to know if Brasso could cause long term problems.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I use Brasso sparingly. If I have very tough stained patina ... it works pretty good on the slides. I think the Brasso also gives an orange tint to the brass. I always use MAAS afterwards. I think it's puts the best shine on. I have some other locally made car metal polish that I like to use because it leaves a protective wax on it. I would bet it is very similar to Chuck's recomendation concerning "Mother's" chrome polish. I really like using the fast sptay waxes. Turtle wax makes one that is really easy and doesn't leave any white residue. The wax really holds back the tarnessing. You do have to wipe the horn down and give it a little wax spray every once in a while.
    Concerning the lacquer, Brasso takes that off on some horns as well.