Raw Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by alant, Sep 14, 2013.

1. alant

alant Pianissimo User

Aug 18, 2009
    Rochdale UK
    Anyone know of any issues with a raw mouthpiece, any advantages?

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    They do not taste good.
    In my early days I had a Selmer that was back to raw brass in the cup after years of use and dedicated cleaning, and I used Brasso to polish it when it got back to raw brass, and then clean it and rinse it, and used a boot cloth to wipe it. It would last about 3 months between cleans.

I was too poor to consider re-plating back then, Silver plate is way preferable IMO, Just cannot stand raw brass mpce at all, but like raw brass horns.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW I forgot to add that after brasso cleaning as above, I did not notice any issues. As it got dull, it got grippy and smelly. I did not like the unpolished raw brass mpce, but polished was OK.

4. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Raw brass can cause alergic reactions, even lead to brass poisoning with enough exposure, even silver plating can cause reactions in some people.

My favorite MP is raw, Surgical Stainless Steel.

Regards, Stuart.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Stuart,
    I have always had minor concerns about stainless mouthpieces. Do you think there is much chance for reaction or harm proceeding from exposure to chromium used to create the stainless alloy? Individual sensitivities would, of course, have to be considered.
    Jim

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    None at all. High chrome alloys are standard for 'hygienic' fittings in food processing (as well as cutlery) precisely because they are safe.

7. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thank you, Seth. I spent 10 years associated with the foundry industry. CrVI was a big concern, but that exposure had to do with processing operations such as grinding and welding.
    Jim

8. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Hexavalent chromium is an entirely different animal, Jim. You have to do some pretty extravagant chemistry to get that stuff from the metallic form.

9. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes, you are correct - chemistry or processing. Stainless steel foundries can have elevated levels in atmospheres that "knock on the door" of Permissible Exposure Limits (PELs) established by U.S. OSHA. The darn stuff can be hard to control!
    Jim

10. 9horn

9horn Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2009
    New York
    I had a Martin mouthpirce in raw brass that I got a fat brassy sound with, had it silver plated at Kanstul, now plays a bit more toned down and I have to push it to get that same sound.