Re-Corking My Favorite Harmon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmcmurry, Sep 22, 2007.

1. gmcmurry

gmcmurry Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2007
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Does anyone know where I can send my favorite Harmon mute for re-corking?

Its an old Leblanc and I love the tone but I have to be so careful when I insert it to keep from scratching my bell.

Greg

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Any reasonable instrument repairman can do this for you. Where do you live?

3. gmcmurry

gmcmurry Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2007
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    I live in Los Angeles - I don't really have a place here where I would get my horn repaired. Maybe someone can give me a hint.

I like mail order because I am on the road all the time.

Greg

4. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Do it yourself. Take a sheet of typing paper and carefully wrap a section around the current cork section. Parts will overlap. With scissors or an exacto knife, cut the paper to form an exact template for your mute. It helps to scotch tape the paper snuggly while your are trimming it. Undo the scotch tape and you will have an exact template.

Get a sheet of dense woodwind tenon cork from a local repair shop. With an exacto knife, cut a section in the form of your template. It should be about an eighth of an inch thick. Lightly wipe the cork with a moist sponge to keep it moist. This will avert cracking while adhering to the mute itself.

Use contact cement to put the cork onto the mute.
    Be sure you have removed all of the prior cork and any glue residue left over. Alcohol works well for this.

With both sides dry (only moisten the outer side of the cork) carefully wrap the new cork around. Trim any excess cork with the exacto knife.

I have done several of these over the years.

Works great.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Greg,

PM me with your snail mail address. I have a few dozen that I cut up a few months ago. I'll be happy to send you one you can use as a template...or just glue it on as a replacement.

btw, before I decided to replace mine I was told to use alcohol to clean both the cork and the inside of the bell(s). It really helped.

Rogerio

6. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Just buy a new one-Tom Crown or Jor-Al or whatever and don't worry about it. My $.02.

Michael McLaughlin

7. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
    There's a shop in Anaheim. I've had my instrument repaired there several times in the past (back when I was a reckless kid)
    Anaheim Band Instruments - the Brass and Woodwind Specialsts! is their website. It might be close enough for you to go there.

8. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    I have done this myself several times, the secret is to make a paper pattern first.

Instructions:

1. Remove all the old cork and clean up the mute.

2. Wrap paper round the mute where the cork should be and trim it to the right size. The pattern will be arc shaped.

3. Put this on a sheet of cork and cut it out making one end slightly longer.

4. Wrap the cork round mute and trim to fit.

5. Apply impact adhesive to the mute and the cork, leave till its tacky.

6. Apply cork and bind it up tightly with insulating tape or masking tape.

7. Leave overnight to set, remove tape and use a sanding block to smooth down the rough edges.

You need to use some fine grained or composite cork, i have used cork mats or the cork thats sold for instrument pads.

9. note360

note360 Piano User

Oct 16, 2006
    In a room in a house
    hey since we are talking about recorking mutes. My cup mute needs new corking... How would you suggest I do this?

Sorry if you feel I am stealing. I think it applies.

10. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    What you need to do is find some suitable cork, cut it to the right size and shape, you usally need to make three of them.

Then wrap some fine sandpaper round the mute with the rough side pointing out the way.

Take the bit of cork and rub it backwards and forwards approximately where you are going to end up glueing it on.
    This process makes the back of the cork curved the same as the mute so there is less gap for the flue to fill.

Then you glue them on, bind them up with tape and leave overnight.

In the morning you can file them down with a sanding block to get you to the right fit in the bell.