Re-Corking My Favorite Harmon

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by gmcmurry, Sep 22, 2007.

1. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I just re-corked my harmon with adhesive back craft foam - got a pack of it at WalMart for a few bucks. Not only is it cheap, easy to apply, and in pretty colors, but now I don't have to breathe in my bell when I use it. I just shove it in and it stays - no problems! I had so much left over that I used my template and cut more out for friends.

2. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Thats an intresting solution, is that quite a dense foam?

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My harmon was also due for a recorking. I just put some self adhesive silicone weather stripping on instead and it works like a charm!

4. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Gordon, it is pretty dense, though not as thick as the stuff on a silent brass. I've found that some horns need an extra layer to make it fit tighter, but it still works well in either case. If you can get your cork off in one piece you can get a perfect template, too.
    Rowuk, that's a cool fix, too!

5. The Weez

The Weez Piano User

Dec 23, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    For those wondering where to get cork, you can buy various thicknesses and sizes at most hardware / home improvement stores as well as hobby/craft stores.

6. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Buying a new mute just because it needs new cork is like buying new pot's and pans every time you cook because you too inept to wash them when you are done. Only some with more money then brains in my opinion would recomend pitcing a good mute that only needs to be recorked. I have done this for kids at myson's school for free. Ilive in a town that used to be wealthy but now is dirt poor due to automotive manufactureing jobs leaveing the state. Pitching perfectly good things that just need light repairs isone of the bigest problems with America as I see it. I am not a tree hugger but recyleing and repairing gently used items just makes sense all the way around. Lucky for me though most people seem to feel the oposite since I get great deals on mute that only need to be recorked like 5 or 6 to a lot for around $10 or less off ebay! Same thing for trumpet's! Nothing like getting $500-$1025 student trumpet for $50 or less just because it needs a new leadpipe our is missing a water key etc......! We collectively as a nation to need to be more like our Grandparents that survived the great depression!!! I think we all need to Man Up oe Woman UP and start doing a bit more for ourselfs as individuals to all become less dependent on other's for those things we need or use daily.

So I think it is a great idea for this guy to try his hand at redoing the cork himself if he has the time. He mentioned he is on the road a lot so he mightnot have the space for exacto knife and contact cement etc.... But still a good post. We should consider haveing ROWUK make a sticky spot for good DIY maintence idea's and directions!!! This should be at the top of the list since you can buy a lot of good mutes cheap just because they need recorking!!!

7. Hoosier303

Hoosier303 Pianissimo User

Nov 2, 2008
    Indiana
    sure would be nice if someone who has done this posted a step-by-step with pictures