Re-finishing a '56 Connie 38B

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Trumpet Dreamer, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    My brother in law is considering a refinish of his '56 Connie. He does not know if he should stick with the original lacquered finish, or go with a silver plate and gold trim finish, which would look nearly like the original and perhaps hold up better over the years.

I'm sure their are many purist's out there who will say it's heretical to even consider anything that is not totally original, much like with automobile restorations.

We've seen Connstellations with the custom silver/gold finish that looked awesome...even better than when new, in my opinion.

There are absolutely NO plans to ever sell this trumpet, so resale value to a collector is not a consideration.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Do what you want. It's your horn. A copper plated bell, like Dale's 5A could look mighty sweet!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Check out Stoner brass to see some nice custom horns, There are a couple Connies in there so you might get some ideas. Hey, it's only money!:lol:
    Here's a 38A he did.

Stoner Brass/Copper Conversions/927547

Cover your keyboard to avoid drool![​IMG]

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Thanks! Never considered a copper finish...and as much as I wish it was, it's not my horn! But I told my brother in law not to sell it to anyone without talking to me first.

The horn is mint, except there are a couple of spots in the lacquer that are pitted, mainly the slides. The body is in overall near perfect condition, absolutely ZERO scratches, dings, dents. Pretty rare for a specimen this old.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    If I had the money, I would "pimp' it out with George. Those are some awesome looking horns he has customized. There's am Ambassador that is one of the best looking horns I've ever seen. Truly an artistic master.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Yes, I had to run and grab a sponge before my keyboard started to short out!

7. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    My personal view is that if it were a rare and unique horn, I would leave it original. But there are so many original Conns out there I would have some fun with it.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1. That was my thought also. Go ahead and customize it just to tick off a purist!! :lol: