Re: Improvisation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by camelbrass, Jan 23, 2004.

1. jamesfrmphilly

jamesfrmphilly Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    the north philly ghetto
    yo, you got real good taste. 8)

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    And you've all got really good advice, thank you. Looks like my CD collection will get a real boost..Amazon here I come!!!

Regards

Trevor

3. Graham Altham-Lewis

Graham Altham-Lewis New Friend

Feb 1, 2004
    Trevor,

Sometimes we worry to much about keys and what the right note is and structure. Try to listen to nothing but jazz, no classical pop or anything else - a complete jazz diet!

Then listen to some solos that are within your range and transcribe them. This doesn't mean writing them out, listen and copy them in your head and try to play exactly what they play - by ear not by writing them down. You will naturally internally digest the ideas and sounds over time. This is what the Jazz course at the Guild Hall in London taught me which is a brilliant course for helping improvisation. Next is confidence. People think that improvisation is a Holy Grail that you can either do or can't. It's not. Everyone can improvise at different levels - its just a case of developing your skills to the next level. So....PLAY WITH CONFIDENCE and most of all - enjoy it. A wrong note is not always a bad thing as again you will also internally digest what doesn't work and probably won't do the same again as you learn from mistakes too.

Another great teacher said just put some Louis on and play along with him! You get to duet with the greats!

Have fun playing that awesome Taylor you own.....and by the way I don't think everyone was wailing away that rehearsal!!! Mark Needs was, because he can, and Peter was becuase he couldn't play the tune so had to play something else!!!!

See you on Sunday at the next rehearsal....maybe with my schilke...!

Cheers

Graham.