Re-Inspired

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by larry tscharner, Jan 22, 2011.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Here in Iowa on saturday nights on public television we are lucky enough to have the Lawrence Welk Show. I dont know why, but tonites show was a marvel of musicianship that I just took for granted before. I guess I was in the proper frame of mind to take it all in. The quality of every number, wether it was a song sung by one of the many stars, or the orchestra crafting a dance number for the noticably out of style dressed audience, was flawless. Talent litterally drippps off of these people! I AM RE-INSPIRED.

Fun Fact....When I was born many moon ago the Dr. asked my mom what my name is and she said Lawrence, and he said, Oh, Lawrence Welk? To this day the only two people who call me Lawrence are my mom and dad. They are quite advanced in age and when they are finaly gone I may have to pay someone to call me up ten times a day and call me Lawrence.

I just wanted to ask, besides rock bands with (ew) guitars and long haired screamers, do any of you true musicians love watching music being made? I almost love it more than playing because I do it so badly when compared to the Welk family. But like I have said before, great musicians inspire me to focus and be better than I thought I could be, and that is SO satisfying. Best Wishes.

2. kadleck

kadleck Artist in Residence Staff Member

Feb 28, 2006
    new york
    I would think that all good aspiring musicians (including myself) enjoy watching clips of great players. It IS inspiring!

Tony

3. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    I, too, just happened to be surfing through the channels last night and stopped on Lawrence, with my daughter, 15, at my side. Although I am seldom captured by the style of music being played, the sheer talent exhibited never ceases to amaze me. Even my daughter, who plays a pretty mean trumpet despite a total lack of enthusiasm for it, was totally impressed by the featured pianist, who was "typing" at about 120 w.p.m. It just goes to show what hard work and talent can combine to achieve, regardless of how corny the subject matter might seem to the listener.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Seems like you are referring to the woman playing the "honky tonk" ... as yes, her fingers "fly" as fast as mine once did with the Bee.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Lawrence,
    I don't have a tv (well no cable or antenna anyhow), but I visit my parents at the end of the road each night, and occasionally watch the Lawrence Welk show with them. It is cool, and reminiscent of when I was a child and watched (though - I didn't appreciate it so much way back then).
    I also remember my Mom letting me come back down stairs when I was a kid (after my Dad went to sleep) - so I could catch a glimpse of the Tonight show with Johnny Carson, especially when they would feature "Doc" or "Tommy" with the whole band.
    I remember those guys had class and talent, and most of all they really enjoyed their music and their instruments, and they had fun doing the show.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Is there some kind of time warp in Iowa? Didn't LW go off the air 40 years ago (1971)? ;-)

In any case, his was the era of the big band and there was a lot of incredible music - not primarily focussed at making money. This stuff is very inspiting for me too.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    I think the Welk show is the longest running program ever, at least thats what they brag about on PBS. They stopped making them in the mid 80s (specials and such) but they have been in continuous syndication and on Public tv ever since. My original thought is that the quality of talent of the singers and musicians is unmatched today in weekly performance. Can you imagine a program with that much great music week after week today?

As for the Tonite Show, I have to agree that it was a real treat to hear Doc and the band play other than durring the commercials when you just got a few seconds of music after. It never happened often enough to suit me.

I guess Im just a bit too young to appreciate 40s and 50s big band music fully and most symphony music, though interesting, doesnt send me away whistling the tune. But 70s Welk shows fit right in my wheelhouse. Best wishes.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, there is a time warp here in New York State also. I believe the LW show is on Saturday, definitely Sunday Afternoon, and I think there is a weeknight also.

it's good music though - I wished cable came to my house, but it cuts off down the road a bit-- so I don't have cable, or internet
    ....who could have figured that? in the 21st century and we still don't have cable to some places.
    glad my parents live down the road -- I visit them, spend time being a good son watching the oldies shows, and get to use the internet besides.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    LW is on many PBS stations around the country, mostly on Saturday's. If that was the female piano player, it was probably Joann Castle. Before her, it was Big Tiny Little. Both of them could make ivory smoke!:-o

My favorites are the Big Bands to listen to for just pure musicality. I was into 50's and 60's rock when I was younger. Today's stuff.......noise! Give me something with clear cut harmonies anyday:play::roll::dontknow::oops:

10. JimCulp

JimCulp New Friend

Dec 13, 2010
    I don't see the Welk show much any more, but saw it a lot in 1963 and 1964 when I was first beginning to play. Just loved it; still do.