Re-lacquer?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by Pseudonym, Jul 1, 2009.

Placement?

1. Silver, inside of bottom of bell.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Gold, inside of bottom of bell.

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Silver, near the model-name placement.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Gold, near the model-name placement.

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Pianissimo User

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    This is perfectly fine. It would allow me to have the phrase stand out. Who knows, I might not even engrave a name into the side of the bell, I might just name it myself.

The lady that does the engraving tells me that she cannot engrave over the plating. If it is plated in black, she will not be able to engrave properly. Yet, if I engrave first - plate second, then the engraving might be lost during the plating process. This is very troublesome. I need help here.

Secondly, if I were to talk to Felix, do you think he would know if I can get the EXACT finish that the Phaeton displays? Does anyone have contact information for me if they know this has a definite possibility? With the engraving process at only $2 a letter, I am fine with most prices on the plating, as long as I get the exact same finish as the Phaeton.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Contact

It only makes sense to engrave first. You need to talk with the plater to make sure that the engraving is not "filled in". Engraving can be done over the present plating, if the horn wil be replated.

3. Pseudonym

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Why thank you Rowuk! I've sent Felix a nice long email explaining to him roughly what I am considering, and the costs of labor that he would be providing as such. I am truly grateful as I would not have been able to do this without your help, nor the good people here at TM.

If I can get most of this finalized within the next week, I'll probably start setting dates and getting extra hours at work so as to be able to pay for shipping, engraving, and plating costs! Then I'll start firing up that camera so all of you can see my baby's progress. :)

4. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    My recommendation is as follows for you, firstly I relaquer a few instruments a week here in australia.

Get the engraving done by someone that engraves, not a repairier not an electroplater and certainly not by average joe blow, you cannot even come close to the quality that someone that does it for a living will.

Next the electroplater unfortunaltey cannot create more or less plating round the engraving its just not possible unless you want it brush plated and then get ready to fork out some money.

As far as laquering over the base plating it will show through the lacquer, most coloured items are painted and the undersurface is irrelevant

5. Pseudonym

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Would I need to get anything done to the trumpet after I engrave it?

After I finish plating it (the would-be finished visual product)?

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    After plating, the threads on the valve caps may need to be recut, the slides may have to be worked in so that they are as smooth as before.

One a horn has neen engraved and plated, there is nothing else that the engraving needs.

7. Pseudonym

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    What do you mean by this? I will probably get the valve caps that I have with the horn plated, and then replace those with my Curry MAGNUM Heavy Caps. "The slides may have to be worked in" - what does this mean as well?

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Plating increases the thickness of the horn fractionally, and the slides and threads may end up too tight to fit together depending on the original tolerances of your horn, and the thickness of the plating.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you get NYTC or another PRO to do the work, you don't have to worry about it. There is more to working with horns than meets the eye!

10. Pseudonym

May 23, 2009
    Dallas
    Is Felix also known as NYTC on the forums? I emailed him at his official address, or the one listed on the website. I suspect that the reason why he hasn't replied is because he's on some sort of hiatus for the Independence Day weekend holiday. I'll be leaving Sunday on a week-long vacation, and this thread will probably die by the time I'm back - heh.

I'm really interested in finding out prices for everything. I figure it'll cost me about $100 for UV cleaning + dent removal, $85 - $100 to get it engraved and shipped, however I cannot even begin to speculate on how much the plating will cost. I'd expect the horn to be out for a week for each person it is shipped to. I suppose I'll wait patiently for Felix to reply.

I'm sorry for my idiocy, but I still have no clue how the engravings will keep through the plating process. How will I be able to save them from being plated over - more importantly, how is plating even achieved? I'm trying my best to become as educated on this as I can, so that I won't make a mistake and ruin my project, or my horn.

Thank you for all your advice: rowuk, tedh1951, and others.
    - Nick