Re-Lacquering an old horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by wezley, Nov 5, 2011.

Tags:
  1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is safe to say that the only players that MAY notice a difference have to have been in LOVE with the horn for a very long time. Comparing sound is essentailly impossible if the horn has been away for a couple weeks.

I will say that everything makes a difference, but 10 minutes more practice today will have a greater impact on what comes out of the bell than a couple of .001"s of lacquer.

The proper overhaul BEFORE lacquering has a bigger effect on the sound - mostly positive!

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I am in agreement here. Trumpets are not the same as string instruments ... if you relacquer a Vintage Martin D-28 guitar you would be strung up by the masses ..
    I don't know what instrument you are currently using but a student model instrument is not really worth spending all that money on.
    You also could probably get the instrument silver plated at the same cost.
    What model and make trumpet are you considering doing this to?

3. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    Lacquer is mostly cosmetics. Just enjoy it as is with bad lacquer. Patina is beautiful but it takes time :)

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I've seen horns that were ruined by a relacquering job, but it was the looks that were ruined by overbuffing - the playability didn't seem to suffer.

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ya, but I love the sparkle of the Olds Recording off the club's lighting. Kind of gives me the extra motivation to sparkle up my playing. Kinda like it adds the sparkle to Turtlejimmys dreams of the girl he saw the day before, NOT by what she was wearing, but how she was waring it. Spoken like a true trumpet player turtle, and you sir are my hero for relaying this.

So as a trumpet player I like sparkle in my life, I like lacquer! I LIKE IT!!

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I didn't even see the Turtle post on this thread - I MUST be getting Chronic Visual Alzheimers - I'm now forgetting what other people see.

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No Ted, your mind is just fine, Turtle's story is found in Posts 22 and 26 on this thread: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/motivation-64167-3.html

Good Day my Brilliant TM Colleague!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not if you do a blinded randomized control trial! See the following link for this report: http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/re-lacquering-old-horn-64150.html#post592945
    Post #6.

I am IN LOVE with my horn and have been so for a very long time and could not tell the difference! PS: Don't let my significant other know this, or it could lead to a re-lacquering of our relationship!

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only an "Acoustacrat" or a machine can tell the difference!ROFL