Re-Learning Trumpet & Sight Reading Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ruralist, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ruralist

ruralist New Friend

Nov 27, 2009
    Thermalands, California
    I am new to this forum and suspect I will not be posting much but would like some advice with respect to using guitar/piano song books while practicing playing the trumpet. Are there any pitfalls there or things I should be aware of? I feel that my sight reading is helped by just grabbing a book and hacking out a song--Is this good/smart practice or not?

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Some years ago when I started playing I took a guitar book and rewrote a number of tunes in it for Bb trumpet within my range. It was all around good practice. What you do will probably help your sight-reading, just like any other way of exercising it. However, music written for the guitar will be in concert key and oblivious of numerous specific elements of trumpet playing that are especially important for beginners. A good book for sight reading is "Le debutant trompettiste" by Vanetelbosch, can be found on sheetmusicplus.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I can't see anything wrong with playing out of a piano or guitar book as written , as long as your playing by yourself or with another trumpet or Bb pitched instrument. If your going to play along with someone playing piano or guitar then you have to transpose everything up a whole step.

4. ruralist

ruralist New Friend

Nov 27, 2009
    Thermalands, California
    Thanks for refereshing my brain which has been filled with civil engineering stuff for the last twenty years. I should have remebered this since tuning to a concert "Bb" means I play a "C"--one whole step up.

Since I want to be able to play (music) with friends who play the guitar and piano, it will most likley be best if I train myself to transpose and get some trumpet sheet music of the popular songs I want to start memorizing now. Is there a text available for transposing and things to include for trumpet?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Welcome to our Forum my friend and welcome back to music. Do you know that the majority of Civil Enginners I know are also very good musicians? You just add to the point with your interest in the Trumpet.

Did you play in High School and College? If so, it will all come back quickly to you. Understanding mathmatics helps you understand music.

Plus, it makes both sides of your brain light up durng a brain scan!!! Cool stuff to the Medical Doctors and Technicians.

6. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Welcome,
    Get a C trumpet and play it as written. Or learn to transpose.
    I would check e-bay, and get a cheap C trumpet to start back.

BTW good sight-reading is tested in a Band situation, you do not really get too much benefit with just yourself in a practice room (Counting, rhythm, timing, intonation) hymns would be an exception to the rule.

Get playing and play with a band as soon as you can (Church, community etc), and get a good teacher quickly. Playing with your mates will be more fun.
    Get an Arbans as well, all the sight-reading you will need in there.

7. ruralist

ruralist New Friend

Nov 27, 2009
    Thermalands, California
    I played violin in 3rd grade, cornet in 4th and 5th grades, trumpet in 6th through 8th, and then Eb french horn in high school. I have not played since high school--30 years.

I am playing again and it feels good, at least to me.

Thanks for the advice--I think maybe in the short run the "C" Trumpet will allow me to play for my wife in the key the popular song books are written in and will allow me to play along with others on the piano and guitar from their music with out transposing. If that works well, I can save up and buy a better Bb trumpet when the time comes.

I am on the hunt for a Arbans. Are all the publications equal?

Thanks again.

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Welcome,

I've been playing out of such books for 40 years and have never had a problem. Keep in mind that if you ever want to have a guitar or piano accomany you, you will need to either transpose one whole tone up on the trumpet, or have the guitar or piano transpose one whole tone down.

The only disadvantage is that such tunes are written, USUALLY, in a key to make it easy for the guitar player, so occasionally you may end up in a key that isn't one of the easiest for trumpets, or you may, occasionally, be in a range that isn't so easy for trumpets. Of course, such playing should only HELP you improve.

9. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Hi ruralist,
    If you PM me I can give you a link to some useful material.

I am a comeback player as well with almost 30 years off, two years back in Feb 2010.
    Keep with it and enjoy.
    Cheers

10. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    If you play often with guitarists, maybe it's good idea to practice scales/arpeggio
    in key of B, E, A, D major on trumpet (corrsponds to key of A, D, G, C on guitar) often.
    Once familiarized with the fingering and feeling the intervals in those keys,
    playing up a whole tone becomes easier. :)