Re-Learning Trumpet & Sight Reading Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ruralist, Nov 30, 2009.

1. etrumpetlessons

etrumpetlessons New Friend

Nov 16, 2009
    Colorado
    I really think that getting a C trumpet is avoiding the issue. Learning to transpose does take a little practice but it's not all that hard. Should come much easier than the conversions involved in civil engineering. ;-)

Try starting with reading some familiar songs and play up 1 step. Accidentals may throw you at first, but if you know the melodies you'll recognize immediately when you hit a wrong note. As you get better, try playing songs covering a wider range and in different keys. You'll get it pretty soon!

2. ruralist

ruralist New Friend

Nov 27, 2009
    Thermalands, California
    Thanks for all the input.

I am still sussing things out. Not worried about transposing, I just want to keep in mind the standard pitch. I have been playing guitar and singing for about 15 years, just folk guitar and orginal tunes.

I have done some homework and would like to know more about other trumpet players views on "C" trumpets. I will search the website for previous discussions but would also like to know those thoughts of people reading this thread.

3. swe1957

swe1957 New Friend

Oct 4, 2008
    Woodford, QLD,Australia
    It's a bit late, but nobody suggested learning concert fingering. No transposition needed.

4. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Is that easier than learning to transpose? I always wondered why we don't just teach it that way. Is it due to the huge body of Bb scores in the world?

5. swe1957

swe1957 New Friend

Oct 4, 2008
    Woodford, QLD,Australia
    Trombone players in brass bands have to play bass clef and Bb treble clef. rather then transpose between clefs, learning the positions (fingering) for each clef is easier.
    Works out the same when switching between concert charts and Bb charts. Play the charts as written.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    But learning a second set of fingerings to use on a different clef is simply another way of transposing. When I started learning to transpose concert-pitch music on my Bb trumpet, I had to think of the changing note names thing, and all that goes with transposing, but eventually I got to the point where it just comes naturally now. And it took me about as long to get comfortable with that as it did when I switched to euphonium in 7th grade and had to learn a new set of fingerings for concert pitch bass clef music.

No matter how it's labeled nor how it's taught, playing music in originally intended for instruments in one pitch on an instrument of a different pitch is really transposing.

7. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008

I've thought about this a bit. It comes up every few weeks, and I always have the same thought. "Learn to walk before you learn to run.". Often the response is "just learn to transpose," which is probably good advise as far as it goes. But there are a few factors at work here.. Where is the person now, how much trouble is he having with sight reading in Bb? And, how 'nimble' is his mind? By that, I am making a distiction from intelligence because some people are intelligent but "thoutful" in that their brain seems to want to analyse everything from multiple angles before "spitting out an answer.". I happen to be one of those analytical types. Answers tend to be longer in coming, but more complete. In music,that can be a liability in sight reading.

The point is this, until sight reading in Bb becomes less of a problem, and usually when people are posting this question about site reading they've not reached that point, "just learning to transpose on the fly" is impractical.

However, either playing in the written key, or preferably trascribing to Bb and THEN sight reading can be very helpful. By transcribing you'll be training your brain, and eventually it will become almost automatic-at which time you can transition to transposing. In the mean time you can then site read the transcribed piece (while transcribing you are probably not "reading," anything, but rather copying and adjusting pitch) and simultaniously building a library of music you can play with friends more readily.

-I apologize for any typos in this post. Writing from a blackberry has certain drawbacks. Trying to get spacing in paragraphs and checking the spelling of analyse being two of them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Hard to find a decent C horn for cheap - good luck with that. You may get one with mediocre intonation, but it might still be OK for your purposes.

Sight reading by yourself IS good exercise. It really doesn't matter what you read, tho' some stuff for other instruments as written can be at extremes for the trumpet range-wise. You only need to be concerned about transposing if you play with others. If you practice the music as written then you may have some trouble adjusting to the sound of the same thing transposed up a step. When you sight read in an ensemble it can be easier to "intuit" the rhythm than it is at home alone. But the pressures of reading new material in a group are challenging too, for you know immediately when you goof!

9. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    I learned (or am learning) the "consert fingering" from the beginning.
    (I do paralel to Bb way of thinking, and so also learning to read the trumpet part in Bb.)

In my mind, I'm thinking principally in consert fingering.
    (means open valve lip slur is Bb-F-B-D...)
    I paractice beside a keyboard to check the intonation...
    hit a key for A, and play (concert) A on my cornet,etc., that's simple.
    (it's B for most of trumpeters :)

10. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    > (means open valve lip slur is Bb-F-B-D...)

sure, I meant Bb-F-Bb-D... sorry