Re-Newbie Needs Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by misty.sj, Jan 30, 2008.

1. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I can't find any of my old trumpet books. Many of them I didn't even own, they were issued by the school.

I don't think I really need method books per se, but I need etudes and exercises to get my strength back. I'd be interested in some 'fun' things to toodle around on as well, that will help me re-learn technique.

I'd also love it if there was a way for me to buy PDF or other printable versions of some of this stuff online, to save shipping costs. I know I can probably find some of that stuff illegally but I am hoping for legal options to do this.

I'd like to get involved with a local group of some kind, but I need to re-build the basics first, so I can keep up with all the high-schoolers. :)

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    The best thing you could do is buy yourself an Arban book, it has everything you need. You will use it the rest of your life.

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Misty, this stuff is free:

Downloads - Brass Music

Maybe something found in the "Studies" section might fill the bill. At least, the scales section.

Don't see anything "fun" per se.

Carl Fischer publishes Sigmund Hering's Forty Progressive Etudes which may be enjoyable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is a page with a legal Arban for FREE! There is a lot of other useful stuff here too!

Trompetenmusik

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Gloryoski!

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you thank you thank you!! I also found the old Rubank Intermediate (I have the horn one too) and some stuff for horn like the huge '332 Pieces' book. That stuff is mid-range for trumpet so will work in a pinch.

I appreciate the free Arban. I just bought a trumpet, I don't want to drop another $100 on music right away.

I will confess I got a fake-book of some fun-looking show tunes as well, just today. :)

7. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks for this Robin,
    I forgot about the free Arban out there!

8. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks Rowuk.

Nice resource. Its nice to have a digital copy of the Arbans in the laptop. I also downloaded the Rochut (Bordogni) melodic studies, with the midi accompaniment. I have used these trombone books for years. They are good for transposing into other keys as well.

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    That sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I can't read the page (German I think), is the file still there? If so, what is the syntax of the link?

Thanks

10. qazaq

qazaq Pianissimo User

Feb 18, 2008
    Hehe same problem...

I know a guy who spent years in Germany directing the American Army band
    (or was it the marine Corps?)

Guess I'll have to learn a bit...

edit/
    Google translated it for me...and I still can't find it.

I'm clueless.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008