re. rowak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vanbuskirk, Oct 22, 2010.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Because I'm a smart guy. :cool:

2. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    ---------------
    Great advice. However, I think I'll reserve the right to respond in a vigorous fashion when someone tries to pour a big glass of stupid down my throat and tell me its coca cola.
    As for rowuk. Yep he's knowlegable. In fact, many on this forum are quite knowledgeable about trumpet and music in general.
    Some of these individuals come from the finest Universities and Conservatories on the planet while others have grown musically in the venues of NYC and have conquered (or at least come to terms with) the Big Apple.
    -----
    I know it makes people mad, but I have to agree "alot" when rowuk whips out this simple statement:
    "This isn't a hardware problem, its a software problem"
    ----
    Have I ever disagreed with rowuk? Oh my yes!
    Do I respect what he says? Yes
    Why?
    Because I take the time to verify his recommendations and claims. By using this process of verification, I can say that rowuk is a good source for trumpet info.
    Of course it's October and that means Octoberfest. Rowuk just happens to live in Germany so maybe one month out of the year his judgement might be cloudy. Other than that, he's usually spot on.
    Hey rowuk, Drink a barleywine for me!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    nobody knows if the Kingtrumpet can play either --- but you will find that my posts seem to find agreement with a majority of comebackers and their experiences.
    that being said -- I hope to have something on youtube after a Jan. 29th gig -- if it goes well, and if it doesn't --- you will still have to wonder --who can or who can't play on this "anonymous" forum.

and you should lighten up on the guy from Florida -- not everyone speaks fluent englais in this country, maybe the dude is from Gernamy like Robin.lol,lol,lol

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    he has pictures! ;-)

5. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Well then, I guess I'm speechless ;-)

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's a known factor in production that it is not usually the tool as is faulty ... but users are often losers. There's LEO modification of this statement in my experience.

As to my music, especially brass ability (excluding absence of present capability) there are just one or two on brass forums as have heard me play all my horns. They have one or two of the CDs I burned on my computer. I may not be a great player or made lots of money doing so, but I've enjoyed it.

Duh, who here enjoys such as much?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  7. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with rowuk's posts.

He is knowledgeable, and I tend to agree with just about everything he has ever written that I have read. Sometimes, the answers were just exactly what was needed or deserved at the time. Some people need to grow up...maybe some of those kinds of answers are really doing a "public service", so to speak.

No one guarantees that you will be happy with replies you may get on an Internet forum; rowuk's, or mine, or anyone else's.

There is a great deal of ignorance, immaturity, and an obvious lack of experience and wisdom that is posted on the Internet from time to time. Then, there is also the big, and sometimes harsh world of reality, so I recommend to "thicken up the skin" and deal with it as it comes..

8. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    In defense of Rowuk.

This may be getting a bit personal. I have discovered that in my own life I am a terrific liar. I can convince myself of anything. Things that other people know are wrong, I can find a way to make them seem right in my own mind, if I am the one doing the wrong thing. Consequently, I have enough the good sense to surround myself with a couple of really close friends who call me on my BS and set me on the straight and narrow. These friends have really help me develop as as a better person. If think that Rowuk would be such a person. People often "lie" to themselves and it is good to have some around who cares about you enough to tell you like it is (or, as they see it). You just have to have enough courage to accept it. It also takes a thick skin and a whole lot of trust in that particular person that they have your best interest at heart.

Sometimes we are so "thick" that someone has to be rough to cut through the BS. Later in my life, I can really appreciate this. Does that mean I am "not" intimidated? "No". I still get intimidated but I know that sometimes harsh words are good for me.

DK

9. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I remember rowuk commenting something like this (this is paraphrasing from memory, and rowuk or anyone else can correct me with the actual reference):

or something like that.

Rowuk, and many of us as well, knows that it is really the player that makes the cut. Some horns with some specific material may get you some more overtones, but that only goes so far...

I think that his comment, even though he repeats it over and over again, is true. No one, not even rowuk could objectively judge an instrument because it's going to be different from person to person. Of course, Chinese imported garbage trumpets are a different story, but that aside...

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Looks like the OP took his ball and went home in a huff - which is typical for his type of rant.