re. rowak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vanbuskirk, Oct 22, 2010.

1. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    "Outer Limits" ;-)

You guys crack me up !ROFL

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Greg, that's very well said - most of the time the things he posts do tend to make a lot of sense, but I have to say that I miss Manny here. Manny is the guy who got me to change my thinking when it came to Monette trumpets due to his sincerety, and the earnest, humble way in which he talked about why he uses Monette trumpets. They are still a bit rich for my talent and ability, but for someone like Manny, I can totally understand it.

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    If you have that issue with your teacher, you have the wrong teacher.

Of course there are always times you want to massage the student's ego, give him/here a pat on the back and a word of encouragement. But you always do the student disservice if you sugar coat the truth.

But, you do have a point - far too many people expect life to be sugar coated, expect everything to be fair, and expect everyone to respect THEM and their opinion before they have earned that respect.

I'll take blunt any day over PC crap, given that it's not a mean-spirit behind what so many call their bluntness.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    +1 Well said.

There is a definite tendency towards lending credence to the loudest. I'm not saying that Rowuk doesn't know what he's talking about, but I am saying that there are many others around who apparently do as well, who just don't post as much. one would do VERY well to evaluate each piece of information on its own merit regardless of source.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    By the way, don't take what I posted above to mean that I don't value what Rowuk has to say on various issues. I'd never presume to know more about teaching trumpet than he does - he has probably decades of experience over me in that department. He's also spot on when it comes to knowing what to practice and how to approach it, but he and I tend to differ somewhat when it comes to "rules" regarding chops development. I'm of the belief that often times there are no real hard or fast rules regarding that and not everyone conforms to the absolutes he sometimes seems to make.

Make no mistake though, I'm quite certain that where the rubber hits the road as a player he probably practices what he preaches.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I would rather have the admonition of a wise man than the accolades of a fool. Robin may be blunt, but his advice is dead-on and I have benefited from it immensely in my comeback. Who hasn't had a band director get in your face? I have, and that one in particular remains a great friend today.

It's pretty amazing that the illiterate ramblings of someone from Flori-duh could generate six pages of responses! Consider the source.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I start to dislike this thread quite a lot.
    To young players: most teachers would say things that will potentially be unpleasant to their students, because their primary task is not to get friends, but to make everything possible to help the student to attain certain level of proficiency in their playing. It is never too pleasant to hear or to tell what is wrong. But that's how life goes.

Though I share the opinion about Manny's leaving, I am quite sure that even Man had point out sometimes the failings of his own students. There is many ways to do that, some people are better than others. But remember: Rowuk''s role here is not just that of a teacher - he is supposed to act as moderator, so I am sure that some of his comments would never happen to be, if he didn't have to try to keep things civil on his forum. I also imagine that it gets irritating when you see new threads on topics that have been covered zillion of times. Sure, we never heard his playing, nor we have seen a lesson of his. Another thing to remember: everyone have his own personality - nobody is forced to like his, but if his comments and advices are correct, there is no real reason to complain.

8. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    And seven pages in I know I am waiting on one person's response, the person who matters and to whom this thread is dedicated and whose advice would be missed if he decided after this thread not to come back.

9. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Here are some things that I have learned about rowuk over the years and help me to know where he's coming from:
    His posts indicate he had been in the military and that he resides in Germany. Military life revolves around discipline. German folks in general (though I think rowuk is not a native to Germany) pride themselves on their analytical minds and are renowned for their engineering prowess.
    To succeed at playing the trumpet, requires discipline and rowuk has spent a great deal of time analyzing and researching topics related to how a trumpet works. From the physics behind the horn itself and the physiological demands on the human playing it.
    Through his research, he has proven to himself how different factors affect our playing. Most of the rest of us don't sweat these technical details and just play our horns. There are many myths and widely held beliefs in our trumpet culture that often aren't supported by scientific facts and robin will speak his mind if he feels them to be untrue.

I don't feel the need to see a you tube video of him playing anymore than he feels like he has to post one to prove himself to anyone. Everything I've seen him post indicates to me that he really does play.

I've found his posts to be informative, honest, factual and often funny. He is very frank and to the point and tries to discuss only factual information. He wants to ensure that info on this site won't steer someone in the wrong direction. Young readers here could read a post saying "everyone should play a bach 3c mouthpiece". That reader may convince their parents to go buy one and it might slow their progress. We have to be careful to make sure our opinions are stated as such.

Do I always agree with rowuk, of course not, but I do feel that he's always trying to present facts and avoid propagating myths.

His posts, at times, can take on a holier than thou tone, but that's just his way of speaking. Maybe it's an acquired taste, but I don't find it offensive or antagonistic.

Sadly the anonymity provided by internet forums, and the difficulty of understanding someone's tone in their message make it easy for misunderstandings to occur.

10. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    There are no acceptable excuses for being a rude person.

Certainly, a good person can be rude now and then.

The key is discerning between a good person being rude and a rude person just being themself.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010