re. rowak

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by vanbuskirk, Oct 22, 2010.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Well,
    I guess it is time to chime in. I just got back from a tour to Ireland and Scotland and enjoyed the time off line.

Actually, I am not a junkie, I don't smoke, don't drink very much and have been with the same lady for over 30 years (lucky me). I've got 4 kids that are all doing well for themselves and many students the same. I am not "THE" authority on anything but have spent a lot of time fixing things that other people broke. It is not my lifes goal to be everybodies friend or anybodies enemy. The one thing that I dislike more than anything else is BS and the trumpet world is full of it. I also miss Manny here, but in a different way. I understood why he left - and that has a lot to do with the "indignant".

Let's just face the facts, an open forum is exactly that - open for anything you all want to type. I make no bones about commenting on the posted content. None of my comments are based on second hand info unless I specifically say so. I can back up any of my "claims" as many that have taken the time to ask have found out.

The biggest points of discussion seem to be on the physics of the horn - the subject with the most objective proof, that often seems to be ignored by the stubborn. As far as chops go, I actually don't post much real embouchure stuff because everyone is different.

As far as my moderator status goes, this gets brought up from time to time. Think back, how many times have I used my status for anything? I can tell you. Except for the occasional foul language that I delete WITHOUT deleting the posts, not even a handful. I have no trouble with open criticism and normally do not even comment. YOU almost always have the last word.

I made a choice many years ago NOT to go public as I had a bout with identity theft that was pretty ugly. If the quality of my posts doesn't measure up for any of you, we have a wonderful "ignore" feature. A couple of clicks and I am gone-for the individual anyway. I have no need to post my life on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or anything else. My audience is "live". I am on a couple of recordings that some of you probably own but really have no reason to publish that either.

As far as the thread owner goes, He has been here for a while with 2 different user names. He labored a long time before purchasing his Schilke and probably made a mistake because he has questioned his decision since the horn was a couple of days old. He asked back then and got the same answer that I have posted here a hundred other times: The horn finds YOU. Don't rush into the purchase, play everything you can get your hands on. You will know when the horn jumps up and says IT'S ME!

Take what I say with a grain of thought - but the message is more THINK than grain. Good luck to you all.

ROWUK

2. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Very well put :thumbsup: I have been thinking how to properly respond to this subject and you nailed my thoughts to almost word for word.

The drawback of internet forums such as this is the actual physical interaction of person to person contact and reaction.
    I too agree with most of what rowuk (Robin) has to say yet his delivery can be very frank and blunt.
    Sometimes "tough love" critique is the kind of advice while at the time we receive it a bitter pill to swallow but in the long run the most beneficial.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If the quality of my posts doesn't measure up for any of you, we have a wonderful "ignore" feature.
    ----------
    Moderators can be placed on the ignore pile?

4. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    yup! (until you have been BANNED!):evil:

5. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I do not like the fact that there is a thread about one person. I do not like the fact that there has been an internet search about the person. It seems really creepy. I do not like that we have "called someone out" in this way for doing nothing more than expressing their opinions. If he was mean, maybe. Blunt? So what? Would any of us like to have an entire thread dedicated to our personality and have people try to track us down?

DK

6. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    rowak, hahaha..priceless!

7. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    DK,
    you are right. The interesting thing is that talking about other people gives the world real clues about ourselves. There are some posters here with VERY clear writing on the wall. I don't even need to do any internet search. I will delete any close references to my person posted here however.

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Not any stranger than people posting every detail of their life on facebook - now that is weird in my book.

9. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hey slackers...shouldn't you be practicing right now to get better than the other guy? ROFL

Thank you rowuk for your time here. I have been around the block a few times and I am still learning my way home. ;-)

Thank goodness a few follow travelers have aided my journey. It's sometimes a bumpy ride but I wouldn't give it up in a million years.

I think it was Dizzy who said and I am paraphrasing ..."Every morning I open my my trumpet case and my horn looks at me and says , how can I f**k you up this time?" ROFL

cheers mate

10. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Mezzo Piano User

Mar 22, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Rowuk,
    Wonderfully said as always.