Reached my limits

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by GijsVis, Nov 3, 2012.

1. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Ummm....Yeah....Optimism is great, KT. I prefer the partner massage method, as well, but I have a harmonica player on, shall we say, retainer, to handle my needs. Still in the research stages...:D

2. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    It's a tad late, but here's what happened: I didn't do anything with my lips after the first day of playing, except touching a few bottles of beer, and the next day, I first thought my lips were normal, I didn't notice anything when I got up, took a shower, etc. But when I started playing the next the of the rehearsal weekend, my lips felt different, they felt stiff and kinda solid. My flexibility was down a bit, though it wasn't noticable, and my range and playing overall were just the same. The first half of the day, it seemed like my lips were unbeatable, I could play anything with ease, only they were a little stiff, but I hadn't played with such ease for quite some time. But then after lunch, fatique came back again, and my lips still felt stiff, but playing got increasingly more difficult. I think I might say at the end of the day, I felt more worn out than the day before.

Now I left the horn in its case monday, and started to warm up again tuesday, and it went quite well. I didn't notice anything on my playing except that my lips felt still a little different, and my endurance wasn't that good. I had a rehearsal yesterday, and that went all fluently, only at the end I was more tired than I used to be.

Now what would you say? I'm just curious what happened. Any questions are welcome.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

This is actually good news. It sounds like there is no strain damage to the lip, just healing edema which is why that feels stiff. It may come and go until fully recovered, but at this point, I would try to keep practice sessions down to 75% of a typical full practice episode, and in about a week you should be up to nearly 100%.

GijsVis likes this.
  4. GijsVis

GijsVis Piano User

Jul 23, 2012
    Allright, thanks, I'll just keep my practise down for a week. You know, a doctor is really convenient to have around here.

Thanks!
    Gijs Vis

5. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I hope you don't reed too much into that, KT!!

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Why shouldn't they like you, Bigdub? After all, you are a trumpet player!

7. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I think you missed my play on words there, Steve, reed it again.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    and again --- for us NON-doctors ----- sometimes REST, or light play days usually resolve this swelled lip (funny feeling issue) -- for me it is about 4 days later, that all is well again!!!

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    last night at rehearsal I spoke to each of them ---- and GETTING THEIR NAMES CORRECT (after all they are twins you know) -- I am a pretty gifted trumpet player ---- besides I watched to see what instrument they had!!!!!!!!!! ------saying hello, and being nice, that was very cool -----------BUT SAYING HELLO AND GETTING THEIR NAMES CORRECT ----now that is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL
    don't REED into that, but I am thinking, "life is looking good for me at the moment"!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    When I get swelled and tired I put my hands on the widest MP I can find!