read only to waste time..........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 8, 2009.

1. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    I have found, through pictures, album covers, videos, that a great percentage of the pre-1980 trumpeters played a trumpet with 2-main tuning slide braces, one on the lead pipe side, and one on the tuning slide side. Even Miles played such a horn before the Committee. Were they all Bach Strat's ?

crow

2. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    The term is "Bach Strad", short for "Bach Stradivarius".

I am amazed at how many times I have seen them referred to as "Bach Strat" over the last 3 years that I have been on the trumpet Web sites and on eBay.

But I don't know anything about how many braces they had and where those braces were located.

Dean

3. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Really, are you kidding me? You just corrected someone for that?

Edited by ROWUK

OP, I am certain they are not ALL stratT's, but the design was widely emulated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2009
  4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I'm sure they're not any of them StratT's since there never was a model called "Bach Strat" -- I don't blame Dean for correcting crow for misspelling the name of the model. If we don't even know what the models are called, what are we doing discussing them at all.

Get the names right -- there are enough Chinese trumpets pouring into the rest of the world with names which are close but not exactly the same so trademarks aren't infringed, so if we muddy the waters further how will anybody know what's an authentic horn and what isn't?

I've had people call me in my capacity as a repairman, all proud as could be because they had bought a "Selman" trumpet, only to be deflated when I point out that the good model is a "Selmer" and that they've bought a piece of junk.

If people aren't going to use the proper vocabulary, including instrument makers and model names, then I feel sorry for the youngsters coming along and reading these posts and having no clue what the actual names are.

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Correct spelling is out of fashion...what can I say? :dontknow:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Anybody really into music knows about the Stratocaster. An honest mixup with a Bach Strad. Instead of pointing out the negative, research and add to the positive.

Many trumpets had 2 braces. That made that part of the trumpet more stable and probably contributed to a better projecting and solid slotting horn at least on the pro horns!

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Many players remove the front brace from the Bach and they claim it improves the horn. Vincent Bach actually told my teacher that the reason he placed an extra brace was to make it easier for players to move the tuning slide.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Yeah, I sure wish I still had mine!:-(
    v

9. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Soma you gyz crack me up!

Kro

relacks man ur wasting yer tyme wit nonsenz.

Thanks to those who said something sensible.

crow

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  10. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008

I wasn't correcting his spelling.
    I was simply letting him know that he was using the wrong name for the trumpet: "Strat" versus "Strad".
    If I had been correcting his spelling I would have noted that he incorrectly used an apostrophe for forming the plural, but that would have been irrelevant petty nitpicking.
    By letting him know that he was using the wrong name for the trumpet, I was being helpful.

Dean