read only to waste time..........

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Oct 8, 2009.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dean,

whether or not your post was helpful changes in the eye of the beholder. Had you offered any serious information about the brace, adding your comment would have been OK. As you had nothing to offer on the thread subject, your post was only nitpicking.

It is legitimate to ask why one responds at all when they have no content applicable to the purpose of the thread. You would not consider it helpful when a math teacher would subtract points on a test because of bad grammar when all of the answers are mathematically correct.

I have little interest in a semantic war or grammar police in the general trumpet forum. If TMers can offer content, then go for it. As long as it is reasonably understandable, we can run with it. When intelligibility borders are crossed, we can ask what the poster means. Worst case, I can edit to help on request.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Strat had three pickups, the Telecaster two.

Bach Strads and their clones had two braces, but Benge and Getzen had one. It would be fun to check out album covers from the sixties and seventies.

3. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    A strad is also a violin and a violin is shaped like a guitar so there is a link.

My Monette only has one brace.

4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Yes, the Bach's mostly have two braces in the crook, as did some of the old French Besson's, which Bach took many ideas from, and Miles played one of those for a while. However, many horns have the same bracing configuration.

5. ChaseFan

ChaseFan Banned

Mar 25, 2008
    The poster would have continued to speak of the "Bach Strat" for the next 25 years because nobody would have informed him of the correct name of that trumpet model, and he would have appeared to be a novice in the eyes of every knowledgeable person with whom he speaks in those 25 years.

This site is supposed to be a site where trumpet players share information, so that the less knowledgeable people can become more knowledgeable.

When you claim that my sharing the correct name of a Bach Strad is "nitpicking", you short-circuit the very reason that this site exists: education.

And your claim that my post was nit-picking is especially strange in light of the way that you have angrily and indignantly corrected posters here over the years.

I noted that calling that Bach model "Strat" is a common mistake that I have seen many times before from other people, so that might be where the original poster of this thread learned that common mistake.

I make mistakes, too, and people need to point out those mistakes when I make them, because I would rather have people educate me than be patronizing in silently going along with my mistakes.

If you had a huge piece of toilet paper stuck to the bottom of your shoe, would you rather have someone point it out to you or remain silent while you walk around like that for the next several hours?

Dean

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dean,
    settle down. Crow knew better before you felt a need to "correct him".

"And your claim that my post was nit-picking is especially strange in light of the way that you have angrily and indignantly corrected posters here over the years."
    The posts that you refer to ALWAYS directly addressed the thread topic. I have no anger or indignance on line. I do address BS and fact differently.

We have an expression in German: "Korinthenkacker"
    This refers to people that get caught up in very small insignificant details that generally had nothing to do with the subject. The issue of the Strat/Strad has been covered with and without applicable content to this thread.

What about just starting a thread with all of the designation mistakes in the trumpet world. Double C, Strat, Beson, Constellation, embochure, aperture, Ed Carol, Shilke......... You probably have noticed many more. It could be quite fun. There it would also be in context and not so "schoolmasterly".

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  7. unkleschilke

unkleschilke New Friend

Jul 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Anybody getting carpet tunnel from posting about this?

ROFLROFL

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]

9. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    Just to waste a little more time... let me continue by saying that I worked for Manny's music store in Manhattan during the 60s and 70s. I was a salesman in the guitar department. Those were the days when seasoned "old timers" sold wind instruments. I was a young'n then. I sold hundreds of "Strats," Les Pauls, Gibson SG's, Martin's, Ovations, etc......... before the "imitations" flooded the market. And I sold many of them to the performers that made them popular. Keep in mind now, this is not a brag or bitch reply, just a gentle-mental-elimination, part of my "morning constitutional". Strat, Strad, Pizza, Pizzar, Park, Pack, car, ca'. Communication is a challange and adventure at it's best, no matter where your from. I happen to be from Brooklyn, and I don't mean Ohio. If someone from Brooklyn... or elsewhere (We got thousands of foreigners.), walked over to the guitar department in the old Manny's music store, and asked for a "Strad," I would have pulled out a few Stratocasters to try, minus language corrections. That would have been a sure way to sour the sale. I can feel some egos and defenses mounting here. Don't waste your time. Share your wisdom wisely. This reply is just a fun addition to wasted time.....or not?

With selective appreciation of all TMers,

crow

Schwab likes this.
  10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    this thread is a waste of time.....[​IMG]