reading music!!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldgit, Aug 7, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    This i need to tackle, am getting better at playing but reading really baffles me.

Do any of you have any advice and ways to pick this up, have tried playing my scales and practices with the music in front of me but its not going in ( tend to close my eyes when i play haha).

Am willing to work at this but at my age 51 things take a while and i need a plan.

thanks
    steve

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oldgit,
    I have taught many comebackers and crossoverers to read. My advice is the same as I have posted for daily routine. Get a hymnbook. 700 easy, catchy tunes that are suitable for straight, jazz or rock interpretation.

Reading is simply a matter of getting note patterns memorized. When we read our native language, we generally do not read each letter. We recognize the patterns of groups of letter shapes (which by the way makes dyslexia so hard to treat). That can happen with scales and interval exercizes, but is much more fun with TUNES. There are no tunes really easier than those in the hymnbook and all of the scales and intervals are there for the taking. Once we have invested some time, we may even have a suitable audience ready and waiting...........................

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  3. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    thanks for that. have to go and get a hymnbook. local church are great so should not be a problem. not sure about playing for them. maybe one day tho.
    steve

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    Reading is simply a matter of getting note patterns memorized. When we read our native language, we generally do not read each letter. We recognize the patterns of groups of letter shapes (which by the way makes dyslexia so hard to treat). That can happen with scales and interval exercizes, but is much more fun with TUNES. There are no tunes really easier than those in the hymnbook and all of the scales and intervals are there for the taking.
    -------------
    Now that's good advice!! Just use a metronome(cheap one) so you can't cheat.
    Right now you're reading words(playing the notes) and it probably feels disconnected as well it should. You have to get use to looking at patterns.
    With practice, in no time you'll find yourself reading music like you read sentances and paragraphs. Also, keep a hymn book in the bathroom. Instead of reading a magazine, read music.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You have just received some great advice. You only learn to read by doing it.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I thought the bathroom was for "dear John" letters................

WARNING: reading the hymnbook in the bathroom may result in crappy tone. ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Oldgit,

20 years ago at your age as a 2 year comebacker after a 36 year break, in a fit of mental abberation I bought a French Horn, found a teacher who suggested the best for me was to play duets with him and so we did for 2 years, played each one once only then went on to the next. This worked wonders for my sight reading and playing.

If you have a teacher or friend willing to play duets with you, I can recommend this for increasing reading skill.

Regards, Stuart, (an even older git)

8. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    getting ready for christmas early and tried god rest you merry gentlemen. only one mistake, missed one flat, didnt have the metronome on tho!
    My kids even recognised it and my daughter has agree to accompany me on the piano.
    getting better and every small step in the right direction gets you nearer your goal.
    thanks again for the help.
    Still have not found a teacher or someone to play with yet.
    Do you think it work asking on here if there is anyone near me?

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    It never hurts to ask here. If there is someone nearby, you may have a duet-playing buddy soon.

Good luck. It sounds like progress is happening.

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Looking in the music shop last week I saw several books of easy solos with piano accompanyment, perhaps your daughter could be enlisted.

Do you have a community band nearby to you could join? most are always looking for members.

Regards, Stuart.