reagan ceremonial music

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by davidjohnson, Jun 11, 2004.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    superb ensemble balance, even with the outside bands.
    great singing.
    the state funeral recessional, 'we were soldiers together', ..wow!!

dj

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    And the Irish Tenor singing "Ave Maria".

Made me cry

3. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yes, I agree. I was very amazed at the great sound of all of the performing groups. The chorus and organ sounded just wonderful. The trumpet playing was excellent too. It would be nice if someone could come up with a list of all of the pieces played at the ceremony. I am familiar with all but one.

4. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    The Air Force Band that played "Going Home" at the airfield was my favorite. Dvorak would have been proud. If you have never played on an airstrip, I'll tell you it's alot harder than it looks. So much other stuff to contend with. Amazing players, those AF cats.

5. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Isn't there a separate "Ceremonial Band" that plays for incoming dignitaries, funerals, etc? One of my colleagues was offered a position in this band about 20 years ago, but declined. Is this still the case that there's a separate band for airfield ceremonies?

6. Lawler Bb

Lawler Bb Piano User

Oct 25, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, Going Home did it for me too. I wrote my previous post before hearing that. The brass sounded phenomenal; I just performed New World Symphony this spring, but it was wonderful hearing Going Home in that context.

I also found the title of the piece I liked most in the service: Jerusalem. Very well done by all groups.

7. Skip

Skip Piano User

Oct 26, 2003
    Hawaii
    Those marine bands sure can play!

8. mheffernen5

mheffernen5 Pianissimo User

Amazing grace sounded really good in my opinion.

9. FreshBrewed

FreshBrewed Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Houston, TX
    Each branch of the service has a top band that does things like funerals, etc. Then there is the "President's Own" Marine band which really isn't a bunch of Marines, it consists mainly of civilians. These "special" bands only duty is music. They are not like the field bands at division or AG level. Us lowly peons are required to do the military stuff too, or atleast the Army and Marine bands are that I know of. That's not to say that there aren't some great field bands as well.

10. Castle Bravo

Castle Bravo Piano User

Nov 6, 2003
    Sche├člitz, Germany
    When the service at the national cathedral was nearing the end, and the casket began its journey out of the church, what was the song?? It was so dramatic, sad and powerful....