RealBook database software w/charts, audio, etc.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by johnande, Oct 10, 2012.

1. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    My search for “realbook or fakebook software” on the TM website has failed to turn up any recent threads except real book/fakebook myth and facts (12-15-2008). The posts in that thread seemed to provide mixed opinions of the benefits of fakebooks.

I recently ran across the website http://www.realbooksoftware.com/which advertised a database software program available for easily accessing Realbookcharts, audio, etc, (mostly jazz) such as found in the hardcopy RealBook.Although the RealBook and similar fakebooks have hundreds of songs, I have found them too cumbersome to be of significant value to me.

The advertised software appears to be interesting and easy to use, and might be of benefit. However, the cost (>$125 with the usual no return policy for software) seems too pricey to just “check out.” So I wondered if any TM members have tried it and if so, what were your impressions?

2. graysono

graysono Mezzo Forte User

Jan 22, 2007
    Hyde Park, Utah
    Several of my friends/colleagues have done their own transposition of the Real Books to their iPods/iPads. I am getting tired of lugging all the paper music around; it is heavy. And I don't remember all the tunes I think I used to know, so I have to lug something. But, that said: For me the electronic projection of these things on a 5x7 screen means they are too small to read. I guess I'll remain stuck in the dark ages.

Also, a caveat emptor: the kudos and the hyperbole attached to that website are over the top. That alone would make me worry. But, you posted because you are being careful, yes?

Recall that you are dealing with an old curmudgeon here.

3. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I purcased a data cd of many Fakebooks from Ebay for about $5.00. It works great on my 15 inch laptop screen. If you fold back the top of the music stand the laptop sits pretty good on it. I saw a keyboard player using his laptop at an outdoor event. He had rigged up a box with one side missing to set over the laptop to shade the screen for better visibilty.
    I might get into trouble over copyright laws if I offered to copy mine....PM me if you like.

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    IRealb for iPhone & android

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Ditto to what's already been said.

I have several of the Real Books in PDF format on my Android Tablet. This works fine for me.

As someone also mentioned, I also have the iRealB on my Android, which I primarily use as a practice tool.

The only person I DON'T agree with is graysono. I don't think he's an "old curmudgeon". :-)

Mike