Realy frustrated....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Oct 24, 2009.

1. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    Ive been playing for three and half years, i practice regularly, an hour or more a day, i practice the lip slurs in the arbans book and buzz at pp for 20 minutes and work on my jazz music for additions in november. what is realy getting me is this: ill play just perfect for about two days and then ill not sound so great. i just got out of marching season and am transitioning to concert. does anyone no whats going on with my playing?:-(

2. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    its like your body... you may run strong for a while but when you get tired... not so hot... its all about consistency my friend... play smart and have fun...

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    only you can answer this question.
    Ask yourself:
    1)What am I doing during the last three days that effect (affect) my playing?
    2)What is it about the last three days thats got me spooked?
    If you've seriously assessed 1&2, and can find nothing getting in the way, then you may want to consider the next possibility.
    Have you set yourself up mentally to struggle during the last three days?

4. PiperJon

PiperJon New Friend

Oct 22, 2009
    I used to have a similar problem when I was in the bagpipe band in college. The pipes, like the trumpet, is a physically demanding instrument, particularly if you're in marching band: breath control, marching, elbows out, focus, focus, focus. And when I was on long playing jags prior to contests, I would have to take a small but significant break where I didn't play, didn't think of the instrument, didn't HEAR the music 24/7. In other words, I was fatigued.

I completely agree with the above posters as well. Look at the possibility that you may be psyching yourself out. "Oh, hell, here come THOSE days."

Instrumental music is not only about making good sounds, it's about self discovery. It's the source for expression.

My main points: Relax. Be good to yourself. Rest. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.

Pj

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Take a day off lol, thats why I do... maby buzz a little neer the end of the day..... A LITTLE!

6. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    The most helpful thing I've found for consistency is consistent practice. Create a routine that you play EVERY day. Include all of your fundamentals ie: breathing, long tones, slurring, range expansion etc. Spend at least half of your practice on these basics and the other on music for ensembles/auditions. Write out your routine so it is concrete...not abstract like your imagination. You play like you practice...so practice smart and consistent!

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Marching band is poison for smooth playing. The sheer physical effort on the field, lack of sound being reflected off of the walls to our ears and type of music really drain our bodies and soul.

Expect 4 weeks of transition time until you have completely settled down.

Nothing is for free and the cost of business marching is VERY high.

8. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you can, try alternating heavy playing days with light playing days, at least when you practice at home. While practice is essential for progress, too much practice could hurt your lips , affecting tone, endurance , flexibility, etc..

9. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Agreed...marching band sucks (literally). I only have one marching band performance left after 9 years...I can't wait to be rid of it! I always like to make sure that I get in a practice room or even the bandhall and do 15-20 minutes of nice, quiet playing immediately after marching if possible. This seems to help me remember what's right when I come back after a few hours of rest for some real practice.

10. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    so how do any of you make the transition from marching to concert smoothly?