Realy frustrated....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet 101, Oct 24, 2009.

1. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    You've gotten great advice -- I'm going to go out on a limb and point out that it's quite possible to make such a transition overnight, and even within the same day, if you go about it properly. Many professionals can go from a hard-rocking, loud, ragged blues band tone recording session in the morning to a brass quintet with classical tone rehearsal in the afternoon to a big-band lead trumpet tone in the early evening and end up with a small-combo jazz tone for a late-night club.

Tone is in your mind, your concept of breathing and tone, and you can change tone quite easily, provided you've been practicing all your various types of tones at the same time all along. During your marching band season you should be practicing with your concert band tone every day, and not compartmentalize them into different seasons of the year. Keep them current with each other and you can turn them on and off at will.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree, and I must say that I am almost 45 and just picked up the trumpet after 7 years off, it was a struggle at first, then practice, patience, and persistence -- listen to your body -- I love high notes, long notes, fast notes - but it took almost a year to build up the body --- and some days (dehydration, salty foods, not enough rest) - and I experience same problems - keep a consistent eating plan, fluid intake --and ugh exercise. If your lips hurt, take it easy for a day, - become confident in what you can do on the horn - be consistent - it will all come together -- don't give up,
    ken

3. Jazzcmor

Jazzcmor New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    Blue Ridge Parkway, VA.
    This reminds me of my highschool days. 0 period (6:am to7:30am) was Jazz. Then normal classes. 4th period concert band. 5th brass assemble. 6th marching music. and after school marching band until 6:pm. This mix of music styles really helped. Perhaps you should incorporate some of each into your practice sessions after your fundementals. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great advice by kingtrumpet about taking it easy if your lips hurt and about getting enough rest. I'm a comeback player in my 40's, picked up the trumpet again about a year ago, and still struggling with consistency.

Overplaying has been a big problem for me. My mind seems to always want to do more than my chops can tolerate. "If your lips hurt, take it easy for a day" is great advice. Sometimes less is more.

I also seem to be more sensitive to the amount of sleep I get. I work overnight about once a week or so, and usually have trouble playing the next day. I try to avoid any heavy playing the day before, and then take it easy the day after I work an overnight shift.

5. Gaucho Viejo

Gaucho Viejo Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2008
    Palouse, Washington
    If yours is a really small marching band you can't do what I used to do and what I would suggest worked very well for me: When you're tired or you feel you've been overblowing and might be harming yourself . . . continue to march with your horn in place but don't play or play at a reasonably low volume. Let the guys around you "carry" you and (this is kind of a mercenary attitude) let them blow their lips out while you keep yours intact for the kind of music you want to make. Any band director too oblivious to recognize he's ruining his musicians will be too oblivious to discern who is "putting out" and who is "miming".

6. trumpet 101

trumpet 101 Pianissimo User

Jan 8, 2009
    Arkansas
    thanks for all the tips and help guys, now another question: okay, about a year ago i got a bach 3b mouthpiece (its a deep mouthpiece) could the deep mouthpiece combined with a weaker embouchure contribute to bad playing?