Reasonable asking price for Stadivarius Bach 43 Sterling Silver Plus?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by lepidoptera, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lepidoptera

lepidoptera New Friend

Jul 23, 2008
    I am a sadly ex trumpet player with loans, so I'm looking to sell my horn. It's a Stradivarius Bach Model 43, the Sterling Silver Plus model, which means the bell is solid silver. The slides are in quite good shape. The valves are a little stiff, but not too bad. The lacquer has come off the silver in spots, and looks pretty tarnished right now, but a little elbow grease and silver polish and it will look just fine. There is some very slight and hardly noticeable tarnishing on the brass parts of the horn. I paid $1800 for it new in 2002, but I'm not sure how much I should expect for it now. Is $1000 too much/too little?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Go to ebay and check on current strad auctions and also advanced search function will get you completed sales. Try and match them to your horn's particulars and you will ge the best estimate of "real" value in today's market. Sorry you have to sell your horn.:-(

3. lepidoptera

lepidoptera New Friend

Jul 23, 2008
    I was never very good, and it's far too much effort to keep my chops up. I've moved onto the piano :). I actually looked at ebay history and no one else has sold a sterling silver plus, which is weird. It should add to the value... the silver gives it such a pretty sound (well, used too, when I could still play ^-^)

4. TSmith013

TSmith013 New Friend

Jul 22, 2008
    South Carolina
    Look Here

Here's a Model 37... maybe it'll help you price yours if you haven't already.

EDIT: I see a Model 43 on there now... oops... I guess that's yours? Sorry if I wasted your time if that's the case...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  5. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    $1100 - $1500 ? I haven't bought a trumpet in a long time

6. Enoch

Enoch New Friend

Oct 8, 2010
    Has the bell ever been dented?

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    NOTE: The thread is nearly 2 1/2 years old. I'm sure the OP has sold it already.

8. lepidoptera

lepidoptera New Friend

Jul 23, 2008
    Yes. It at one point landed on the bell :/. It's been rolled out.