reasons for dizziness when playing "high notes"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Aug 27, 2012.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No. But how you use the mouthpiece. Be one with the mouthpiece and say... Uooohhhhhmmmmmmmmm [It's a Zen thing]

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes Dave, Paid in Full. Paid in Full.

3. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    Out of curiosity, can you create a headache on demand by consciously playing high notes incorrectly?

4. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    I have a eye doctor friend who plays pretty well -- He actually met Wayne Bergeron at a trumpet conference, and he mentioned to me what he was talking to him about:

Apparently playing high notes puts pressure on the eyes, which can lead to glaucoma and blindness, in some cases. Valvasa maneuvers contribute to this. It is said in this article below that trumpet players can increase their eye pressure as much as 49.1% while playing.

Local 802 News - Publications & Press Releases

Therefore, be careful.

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    so after 4 years of a comeback -- I can really relate to Al's post here. I would say "NO", I am not getting stronger -- actually my muscles (for my whole body, seem to be getting weaker, I guess approaching 50 has something to do with that). The first 2.5 years of a comeback, I experienced these "brain freezes" type of deal, almost blacking out, seeing stars ---But this last year and a half ---- I almost feel like "I GOT IT FIGURED OUT" --- the high notes are louder, and easier ---- and I feel as though --- like Al, I am starting to see a progression in my playing, and playing high notes correctly. Although we are only talking "relative" high notes, up to the G above the High C (above that, it is never consistent, and not always reproducible -- YET) ---- as far as my eyes getting pressurized -- I really CANT SEE THAT HAPPENING -- but I will be careful ROFL ROFL ROFL

6. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    When one forcibly exhales against resistance, dramatic changes in intrathoracic pressure result in compression of the pulmonary vessels and the heart itself. This impedes venous return to the heart and, consequently, reduces cardiac filling. Decreased filling results in decreased cardiac output (the so called"Frank-Starling mechanism) and hence blood flow to the brain and it is blood, afterall, that carries oxygen to the brain. Without oxygen, we feel faint and dizzy. Decreasing forced resistance is one way to decrease the rise in intrathoracic pressure which I believe can be achieved by avoidance of pinching the notes and keeping the glottis or throat open.

7. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    And yes, Mark, the pressure does increase in the eyes during valsalva because of decreased venous return to the heart; the vascular parts (the "choroid") engorge thus increasing the intraocular pressure. The relatively short periods of elevated pressure would not be significant unless someone has glaucoma or is borderline glaucoma, in my opinion (there is no evidence based medicine to suggest otherwise), and consequently I NEVER recommend wind players alter their playing because of this. However, I would recommend regular exams especially for those who play at lot, particularly in the extreme registers.

No charge.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    do we have another DOCTOR on this site???? gee whiz, don't these Dr's ever sleep??? how do they have the time to post on TM???? now that is why I didn't become a doctor -- I like to sleep!!!! I think SLEEP prevents the dizziness of playing high notes --- BECAUSE YOU ARE HELPING yourself relax by getting adequate amounts of sleep!!!

SLEEP IS IMPORTANT to trumpet playing --- and life, and health, and happiness!!!! try it, it's and easy solution!!!

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    No KT, we doctors here on TM stay awake all night, just to plot against you... to tug at your psyche just knowing that will get to you, which gives us great professional fulfillment and extreme pleasure.

[OK docs of TM... send me on our secure PM site our next meeting time and Agenda that I believe begins with: Kingtrumpet... controling his behavior follows an identical course from lab rat outcomes]

10. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    Ok, Pm sent. KT on the agenda......