Receding Gums Effect on Embouchure

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fats Navarro, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Fats Navarro

Fats Navarro Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Just wondering if any older members might comment on how receding gums have affected their chops. Also I ask, what adjustments have you made to your embouchure to counteract the disease? Mouthpiece change? I'm having the Dickens of a time controlling notes; lip just tires so quickly.

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    i have some issues w/ receding gums + the typical mid-life tooth 'crunch' as my lower teeth all are crowding together, becoming uneven, etc. i use sensodyne toothpaste to medicate (numb) the gums, which works pretty well. i also have been paying a lot more attention to breathing and overall breath support ... using more air and less pressure on the chops, which is different than my former playing technique. The Claude Gordon exercises are helping me rethink and slowly change my past habits + the increased air gives me better-than-before range and I can still play at close to 100% after 3 or 4 hours on a gig. I don't know if any of that can help you, but I sure hope so ... it has made this season of trials not only bearable but actual a time to thrive musically.