receiver question

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Veldkamp, May 21, 2005.

1. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Does the 1st cm of the wall thickness of the receiver have some impact on the projection/blow of the horn ? There are a lot of differences between different brands. Some brands like Calicchio, Monette, etc have one solid receiver, other brands like Bach and Eclipse have a thicker 1st cm.

Does it have influence on the horn or is it more design whise ?

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Veldkamp, long time no see...

I can't speak for other manufacturers but from all the years of working with Dave, I can say that there's not a centimeter of design on his basic instruments that isn't purposeful. What are those purposes? Who knows except for him. I do know that the receivers are extremely important in terms of being a huge part of the response of the instrument. He fusses over those things like crazy!

Hope all is well with you,

ML

3. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    Hi Manny, I was more of a reader then a poster last months. I'm doing well, thank you. I enjoy reading your comments... :-)

I played a B993 for half a year so I know Dave makes fine instruments. I was just wondering if their is a difference in playing when the weight of the receiver is more in front or evenly distributed over the whole receiver.

I think a "weight ring" you can buy for your mpc does more or less the same thing.

Erik.