Recent Playing Problems...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Blazing Asian, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Recently I find that when I start to play my music, after about 5 minutes, my face just slides off my mouthpiece. And I try to play and play but it just slides off. And I personally, cannot see what I am doing wrong. I do slow and fast articulate warm ups for about 5 minutes and then play what I need to play. :dontknow:

2. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Strictly based on what you described....

Unless you have a medical issue (ie: loss of muscle control), then everything is controllable. You just have to pay attention - concentrate more. Correction might not be immediate..and chances are better that they won't be. Consistent, careful practice is the only way thru this. I know many don't believe in practicing in front of a mirror. However, sometimes it can not only be the way to see what's going on, but help you work towards the cure.

Go slowly....don't move around...control it. You are in charge!!

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Simply put, your embouchure is not terribly strong and you're making up for it by using a lot of misplaced presure. May I suggest some mouthpiece buzzing, rather quietly, of some melodies you know well. Or you can play along with a record. As I say, do this quietly for no more than 5 minutes three times in a row every day, with a 5 minute break in between each time. Continue playing normally after another 5 minute break.

You'll be better by the middle of next week if you just don't freak out and keep things light.

ML

4. wilcox96

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Great stuff, Manny. Little bits, several times a day. Awesome. That's the ticket....

(on a side note...I don't think I've read anything Manny says that I've either disagreed with or have not experienced an "a-ha" moment after reading. Thanks for lending your expertise to this forum. Truly....and sincerely, thanks...)

5. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, Brad, but I could barking up the wrong tree, too. BA will give us a full report and let us know if it helped, right BA? Or he'll give us a report from the insane asylum where they put trumpeters who get bad advice and are trying to recover their sanity.

ML

6. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    Well, coincidently, before I read these posts, I played for a while, and before I started, I did buzz and I did have the chance to play in front of a mirror. While the mirror did not help me all to much (it was ok but it made me nervous!), I buzzed on my mp, though not concentrated fully and not for a great amount of time but I did find it to be helpful. However, my face did begin to fall off my mouthpiece but wasn't as sudden as before. I believe, that if I do keep this up and keep it up as a routine, I will regain my face?

7. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    FORGET THE MIRROR!!!

Just make beautiful sounds. Seriously... don't use the mirror.

ML

8. wilcox96

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Well, here's one of those situations where given advice doesn't help. Let's face it...you aren't a mirror guy! (blazin). Okay.. forget mirrors!

Little bits. Easy in the range. Soft. I like that concept of trying to get a beautiful sound. Maybe even listen to some beautiful music you like...and just play along.

9. Manny Laureano

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I didn't read your post fully, Brad, and I wouldn't have written that as I did had I realized you had made a kind suggestion to BA about using the mirrors in your post. I'm very sorry. Please forgive me.

ML

10. Blazing Asian

Nov 10, 2006
    The thing is the piece that I am practicing is not very beautiful and calls to play a little high sometimes...Its page 293, # 9 in the Arbans book.