Recently restarted trumpet lessons

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Rouko, Dec 18, 2011.

1. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Very happy to read you've taken it up again. Any tone-deaf Tilley can learn to strum a few chords on the guitar and be playing "professionally" at the local pub. But an
    orchestral instrument is difficult to play and even more difficult to sound good on. Don't give up. Good luck and thanks for your post.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here we go again.

Any decent teacher is going to have a heavy dose of TUNES in the lesson plan. These are designed to showcase the progress that we have made. What CAN you play?

If our focus in life is only on things that we CAN'T do, we are always frustrated.

We do not need to change much to breathe decently. Once we are in the habit of getting a big relaxed breath, most things get easier. Breathing is THE foundation. If that doesn't work, then we really can't expect much.

That all having been said, age has something to do with our progress too. As we get older, it simply takes longer to learn new habits. Even in our mid-20s, life generally has a much larger grip on us than we care to admit!

2 months is not a very long time.

3. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Not to hijack the thread, and not to be Mr. Know It All, but the bell is an amplifier, the embouchure is the transducer.

4. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Again...not to hijack or know-it-all, but as I retrace the method book I did as a kid, I find notes I wrote to myself that are just terrible. I wrote the the wrong fingerings for notes, and things that just made no sense whatsoever. I eventually came to the conclusion that I was a complete idiot when I was a kid, and must have driven my teachers and everyone else crazy. I find that I am infinitely more disciplined as an adult, and am able to enforce much better habits. As time passes, I find myself not believing at all in the concept of, "The older you are, the harder it gets."

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Let me try to state what Rowuk is saying in a different way. Good is the enemy of excellent. But to get to excellent, we still must go through good. Getting through good takes time, and it is admirable, and even should be encouraged, but wouldn't it be better that we should strive to set goals to aim for excellence. But we must not forget, that we must first get through good.

The concept "The older you are, the harder it gets" is a problem I see every day in my other profession. Many of my colleagues are satisfied with their clinical expertise and rely on it for the rest of their professional lives. The problem is, with knowledge and the test of time, the ways of producing more successful outcomes advance. Yet, many of my colleagues are "satisfied" with the way they have "always done it" - their level expertise. Oh sure, they are good at what they do, but they could be excellent. We as musicians can fall into the same trap. So yes, the older you are, the harder it gets, because good is the enemy of excellent.

6. Rouko

Rouko New Friend

Dec 16, 2011
    Yeah, I've definitely found it difficult to drop old habbits