recessed valve top cap things

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JRgroove, Aug 19, 2015.

1. JRgroove

JRgroove Mezzo Piano User

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Yes, this is exactly how it felt to me. I liked it.

2. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    This horn seemed heavy to me or at least heavier than my LA Ambassador and the Getzen 700 I had a bit back.
    I'm not very experienced and have not played a bunch of different horns. The Yamaha horns I tried in this price range did not jump out.
    This BAC horn jumped right out. It sounded good (as much as possible with me playing it) I liked the weight and the valve action. It was just fun to play. I kind of wanted to buy it right then but resisted. I'm only able to get one horn in this price range so I want to choose with more information after trying a number of other horns.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The physical weight of the horn is not indicative if it has been "designed" heavy. It is easy to make a horn heavier and realise no benefits. I recommend taking an experienced trumpet player to the shop with you and you playing it for them as well as they playing it for you, THEN making a decision. It may be a fine horn, or it may just make an impression in a music store.

4. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the guidance. I will take a trumpet player with me for a good test.

5. richtom

richtom Forte User

Dec 7, 2003
    I've played heavy horns that felt light and so-called light horns that felt on the heavy side. I attributed this feeling to the balance of the horn. A skilled maker can add weight to the design and not have it feel like a brick in your hands.
    Having tried add-ons to horns not really needing them, the horn seem quite a bit out of balance and the add-ons did not make the horn play better for me.
    I have had exactly one Monette in my hands - a Bb - and while it was a bit heavier than my Bach, it did not feel awkward or especially heavy. It played well, too.
    Rich T.

6. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
  7. JRgroove

Apr 8, 2014
    Kansas City
    I found a picture of the case that comes with the trumpet.

[​IMG]